Open Reduction, Internal Fixation

Maybe now is not a great time to write, since I am still definitely under the influence of pain medication, but maybe it will make it more interesting.

I had surgery on my left ankle yesterday.  "Open reduction, internal fixation, with possible bone grafting."  It was a day surgery, so we mostly just waited around in the waiting room, and then in a little hospital room, and mostly what I thought about was how much I love America.  Especially when I discovered the inflatable warm-air blanket on my hospital bed.  Incredible technology these days.  They even had a TV in our little cubicle thing, but we didn't watch much.  I got asked some questions by the nurses and doctors, had my final interview on Sophie's camera, heard a little bit more about what was ahead, and the realities of pain and pain medication post-surgery.  They asked me if I had a high pain tolerance, and if I had a living will.  Of course I said yes to both of those questions.

One of the last things I remember the anesthesiologist telling me was that they were going to give me something that would just take the edge off--like a marguerita. Well, I can't remember now if he said that before, but I feel like it was shortly after that when the world disappeared from my view.  Apparently I can't hold my margueritas very well.

I woke up to a nice nurse asking me how I felt and I told her my throat was killing me.  She laughed and got me some ice to chew on, and that helped.  Then she got me a toasted butter and jelly sandwich so I could take my pain medication.  She made a good sandwich too, but I didn't really have much time to finish it.  Sophie came in soon after that and properly documented my loopiness, and I rejoined my clothes and belongings, and soon found myself being wheeled outside where Kelly, the lady we are staying with, was ready to load me up and take me back to her house.

The evening was quite pleasant.  The local cortizone I guess they shot in there was doing a fine job of fooling me into believing I must have a high pain tolerance.  I even proudly boasted about how I didn't feel nauseous, as I ate some chicken noodle soup and a piece of toast.  I was a little groggy, but not enough to miss out on some Anne of Green Gables.  The pain was starting to come though, and so I took some medicine and some anti-nausea...but not in the right order, and apparently a bit too late.  Because the rest of the night was a losing battle with pain, and a few bonus vomiting sessions for good measure.  Poor Sophie was a very good nurse, and was up as much as I was throughout the night.  She figured out the schedule of when I could take different pain medications, tried to make me more comfortable, and even read to me for awhile to help try to keep my mind off the pain.  It was a very long night, but we made it.  Today, I was at least a little more ahead of the pain game, and enjoyed the drowsy side-effects of the medication which helped me take some nice naps.  But mostly I just feel like I have half-joined the world, and can't think of anything too deep or future-oriented, because it makes me feel overwhelmed.  Still, I have enjoyed talking to my family on Skype, and feeling that peace at times that even though I don't understand everything, and I am limited in so many ways--God has everything taken care of, and I don't have to worry.

So that's where I am at.  Thanks to so many of you for your prayers.  Blessings to you all.

Comments

  1. You should watch two movies in a row right after you take your pain meds. Then, after you sober up, watch them again...it will be a totally different experience...very confusing. Glad you made it through the surgery...praying that the healing process is quicker than expected. BTW, you didn't write anything about swallowing your first whole pill...or are you going to dedicate an entire entry to the subject. You should...because it's a massive win. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I will write another blog about how I swallowed my first pill--this one was hard enough to write in my drugged state--but you are right, it was a massive win. It was pretty exciting, we were high-fiving and everything. It's still kind of a mini-celebration ever since then whenever I do it. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh living will! I've been thinking about getting one of those and don't even know where to start!

    Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hazaah! Long live loopy drugs! And long live swallowing a pill!! I am so proud of you! I hope you got a gold star sticker for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that was disappointingly coherent ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts