My Social Dilemma

That last post I started a week ago or so, and forgot about it. So I finished it up so I could post this one, which is a case in point to what I want to briefly share.

I've been feeling convicted for the last several months that I need to get off social media. It's interesting how I always find reasons to "need" to be there. Most of them are about friends and family and community that I feel like I need to stay connected with. It's so easy to share my day with others, to find that photo from 5 years ago, to check and see how someone is doing, and to even encourage and support others. I've wrestled a lot with it. I mean, shouldn't I stay to be a positive voice? What if all the positive voices were to leave these spaces? Shouldn't I be present and engaged where people are? Isn't that what Jesus did?

These are not easy questions to answer, and I've wrestled with them for many years. Indeed, that's why it's taken me so long to get here. I'm not convinced I've answered these questions, definitely not enough to say what anyone else should do. But in my own of heart-of-hearts, this year especially, even before the pandemic hit--I've been feeling God calling me to step away, whether I understand it completely or not. I've taken breaks, tried to log off for awhile, tried to limit my time. And it's been helpful. But they've been ways I've tried to compromise with what God has put on my heart. For the full sacrifice I feel called to make, it's time to start shifting in the direction of an exit plan. I'm not sure how long it will take, but am giving myself a few weeks at least. But I'm writing this as a public commitment to move in that direction, even though it's really difficult, and it may not be understood or fully appreciated, and it may cost me convenience in my personal and work life.

While I'm still not sure exactly what is to be gained, I can say what my goals are:

1. To be more intentional about meaningful communication in my personal and work life.

2. To have more mental space and awareness to remember people and ways I can support them as prompted by the Spirit and divine appointments rather than depending on a social media feed. (Although yes, I do believe God uses that too many times).

3. I want to use my time more intentionally--to read more, listen more, reflect more, and engage more personally with others.

4. To take a step of faith toward better spiritual intimacy with God, and fully trust on Him to provide for everything I need--physically, emotionally, spiritually, socially.

I think those are basically my goals, but I am looking forward to seeing what God wants to do in my life when I give Him this extra space to work with.

Comments

Popular Posts