30 Seconds

I woke up at 6 this morning without an alarm and without any need to.  There was some unfinished business going on in my brain that couldn't be resolved.  Somehow things that are able to be overlooked during the day can come back in a harder-to-ignore form of reality if woken up during the night, and I guess that's what happened with something I read yesterday on my friend's blog.  In it he posted a link to an article about a documentary on sex trafficking and child slavery, called Not My Life.

It's not the first time I've heard of this issue.  But I remember the first time I heard that sex trafficking was a problem in America, even a big problem in my own I-75 region of the United States.  I was in grad school a few years ago, at a weekly community lunch meeting where they would invite someone from the community to present on various topics related to the counseling profession.  The presenter this week was from Second Life Chattanooga, a local organization fighting sex trafficking in our area.  As I listened, I wasn't very hungry for my lunch any more.  It shocked me that people could be sinking this low in our country, especially in our own city.  I couldn't get it out of my mind for a little while, but eventually...I did.

I think it was last summer when I was having a conversation with my cousin, who co-owns and operates a small business in Chattanooga, and we were talking about local charities to partner with.  I told her about the organization, but I was really just in reporting mode.  As I watched her reaction of the same disbelief and horror I had gone through, I realized I might have remembered the organization, but I'd forgotten the empathy.

This morning when I woke up, it hit me again.  It actually doesn't take much--only about 30 seconds to imagine what life is like for a 7 or 12 year-old boy or girl stuck in that world.  It's revolting, and 30 seconds is too long in that world.  But there are too many who are experiencing long years of their childhood that cannot be imagined away.  And I realized what usually stops me is this: what can I do?  Sure, if I saw a kid that I could rescue, I would.  But I don't know anything about that world. I don't even have any money to donate to people who can help. So why think about something I have no power to change?  This morning I realized that I do have power that is often underestimated.  Prayer.  Praying for this issue and being willing to help in whatever way God might show me along the way--it's enough.  And it's a lot more than putting it out of my mind.

Ecclesiastes recognizes that in our broken, messed-up world there is a time for some evils: war, killing, death, destruction, crying, even hating.  We all wish these things weren't around, but if we think about it, there have been times when these things have been used for good, incredibly enough.  But there is some evil in this world that there is no time for.  There is never ever a time for sex trafficking, rape, or child slavery.  Which is why there should be a time to do something about it.  Taking 30 seconds to put our own problems on hold and realize what life would be like in their place.  Taking two minutes pray for God's continued work in fighting this battle.  Taking five minutes to click on links and read about organizations that deal with this, and seeing if there is a way you can help.  With something like this, 30 seconds is better than nothing.

Learn to do good.  Seek justice.  Help the oppressed.  Defend the orphan. Fight for the rights of widows.  (Isaiah 1:17, NLT)



Comments

  1. Amen.
    You are a strong prayer warrior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really, really, really helpful reminder. Thank you.

    I prayed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts