Don't Be Surprised
I've been reading a book called The Great Controversy for the last few days. It's been making me think about a lot of things I need to think about. None of it is new, I guess. I know there are dozens of authors who have already talked about this, and even more sermons preached on it. But sometimes we just have a new look at old things because we see it from a different place in our lives.
I've been thinking about how the idea of following Jesus and expecting a peaceful life is relatively new. Compared to about 1,700 years or so of Bible-believing Christians being persecuted, I'd say the last few hundred years is something of an anomaly. And don't get me wrong--thousands of Christians have been persecuted since then--even today-- in other parts of the world, but it hasn't typically made it into Western history books or news channels, and hasn't really even crossed the minds of most American Christians. It seems like when we look at historical persecution, at least as Adventists, we are usually focused on where we are in prophetic history. But it just strikes me as odd that most of my life has very little in common with the life of a Christian in the, say, 10th century. As Adventists, we often claim part of our heritage from small groups of Christians who hid in the mountains and were persecuted during the papacy of the middle ages, and kept the Scriptures and lived them out. And rightly so.
But what if I got in the "Imagination Station" (thanks, Mr. Whitaker) and got to meet a woman my age from one of those hidden valleys of the Alps. At first we might talk about what we believe about Jesus, and probably be amazed that we believed so similarly. She might be excited to learn that the Scriptures survived the centuries through God's protection so that we could read the same Bible. But then our conversation turns to our lives. I explain that I was kind of a missionary last year, but it was hard. I'm kind of still struggling to recover from the battle of body and mind. I'm also looking for a job and just feel like my life is so...weird...and hard. I tell her that I'm kind of disappointed with God. Why does He have to let me go through this? I was just trying to serve Him. Couldn't He help me out a little more? And not just me, but so many of others who are struggling in mission or ministry...or just life. If it's His work, why isn't He blessing it?
Maybe the hidden-valley-woman listens to my story and my questions, and then waits a moment before answering.
"What were you expecting?" she asks. I'm a bit surprised.
"Well...I, uh, I don't know. That God wouldn't let it be so hard if He wants us to work for Him?" I say rather sheepishly.
"It wasn't easy for Jesus, so why would it be easy for His followers? This is war. It's not a war of just people, but of the dark powers of the unseen world. We will never be free from it until it's over and we're on our way Home. We don't know all the answers about suffering, but we do know that the truth we suffer for is worth it all. This is just the life we choose to live when we follow Jesus. Don't you remember what He said? 'Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.'* But it wasn't easy for Him either. That's why He asked His Father to take the suffering away from Him if it were possible. But then He added, 'Not my will, but Yours.' That's what it's all about. All of us hidden away in these mountains, and those before us in the catacombs--we would all like an easier way, a peaceful life. But when we must choose between a peaceful life and letting go of the peace of Jesus, we'd rather hide in these mountains, being hunted down and killed. Because it's worth it to share His message and to keep it alive for future generations like you. It's worth it for the eternity that's still ahead of us."
After our conversation, and seeing the way she lives her simple but dangerous life with joy and peace, I feel a little ashamed. What are my trials? Why don't I care that much about reading the Bible that they have fought so hard to preserve and share? Where is my joy and peace in times much less troubled? Do I really believe in Jesus? Do I really love Him? I think I do, but it seems that those who suffer most, love Him most, and best know His love for them.
We're both Christians, but we're expecting different lives. We're living in and for different worlds.
*Luke 9:23 (NIV)
I've been thinking about how the idea of following Jesus and expecting a peaceful life is relatively new. Compared to about 1,700 years or so of Bible-believing Christians being persecuted, I'd say the last few hundred years is something of an anomaly. And don't get me wrong--thousands of Christians have been persecuted since then--even today-- in other parts of the world, but it hasn't typically made it into Western history books or news channels, and hasn't really even crossed the minds of most American Christians. It seems like when we look at historical persecution, at least as Adventists, we are usually focused on where we are in prophetic history. But it just strikes me as odd that most of my life has very little in common with the life of a Christian in the, say, 10th century. As Adventists, we often claim part of our heritage from small groups of Christians who hid in the mountains and were persecuted during the papacy of the middle ages, and kept the Scriptures and lived them out. And rightly so.
But what if I got in the "Imagination Station" (thanks, Mr. Whitaker) and got to meet a woman my age from one of those hidden valleys of the Alps. At first we might talk about what we believe about Jesus, and probably be amazed that we believed so similarly. She might be excited to learn that the Scriptures survived the centuries through God's protection so that we could read the same Bible. But then our conversation turns to our lives. I explain that I was kind of a missionary last year, but it was hard. I'm kind of still struggling to recover from the battle of body and mind. I'm also looking for a job and just feel like my life is so...weird...and hard. I tell her that I'm kind of disappointed with God. Why does He have to let me go through this? I was just trying to serve Him. Couldn't He help me out a little more? And not just me, but so many of others who are struggling in mission or ministry...or just life. If it's His work, why isn't He blessing it?
Maybe the hidden-valley-woman listens to my story and my questions, and then waits a moment before answering.
"What were you expecting?" she asks. I'm a bit surprised.
"Well...I, uh, I don't know. That God wouldn't let it be so hard if He wants us to work for Him?" I say rather sheepishly.
"It wasn't easy for Jesus, so why would it be easy for His followers? This is war. It's not a war of just people, but of the dark powers of the unseen world. We will never be free from it until it's over and we're on our way Home. We don't know all the answers about suffering, but we do know that the truth we suffer for is worth it all. This is just the life we choose to live when we follow Jesus. Don't you remember what He said? 'Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.'* But it wasn't easy for Him either. That's why He asked His Father to take the suffering away from Him if it were possible. But then He added, 'Not my will, but Yours.' That's what it's all about. All of us hidden away in these mountains, and those before us in the catacombs--we would all like an easier way, a peaceful life. But when we must choose between a peaceful life and letting go of the peace of Jesus, we'd rather hide in these mountains, being hunted down and killed. Because it's worth it to share His message and to keep it alive for future generations like you. It's worth it for the eternity that's still ahead of us."
After our conversation, and seeing the way she lives her simple but dangerous life with joy and peace, I feel a little ashamed. What are my trials? Why don't I care that much about reading the Bible that they have fought so hard to preserve and share? Where is my joy and peace in times much less troubled? Do I really believe in Jesus? Do I really love Him? I think I do, but it seems that those who suffer most, love Him most, and best know His love for them.
We're both Christians, but we're expecting different lives. We're living in and for different worlds.
- "For the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ." 2 Cor. 1:5 (NLT)
- "That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Cor. 12:10 (NLT)
- "For you have been given not only the privilege of trusting in Christ but also the privilege of suffering for him." Phil. 1:29 (NLT)
- " I am glad when I suffer for you in my body, for I am participating in the sufferings of Christ that continue for his body, the church." Col. 1:24 (NLT)
- "And God will use this persecution to show his justice and to make you worthy of his Kingdom, for which you are suffering." 2 Thes. 1:5 (NLT)
- "Since he himself has gone through suffering and testing, he is able to help us when we are being tested." Heb. 2:18 (NLT)
- "Are any of you suffering hardships? You should pray. Are any of you happy? You should sing praises." James 5:13 (NLT)
- "For God called you to do good, even if it means suffering, just as Christ suffered for you. He is your example, and you must follow in his steps." 1 Pet. 2:21 (NLT)
"Yes, and everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution." 2 Tim. 3:12 (NLT)
"Dear friends, don’t be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you. Instead, be very glad—for these trials make you partners with Christ in his suffering, so that you will have the wonderful joy of seeing his glory when it is revealed to all the world." 1 Pet. 4:12,13 (NLT)
*Luke 9:23 (NIV)



As usual you find ways to put words to my feelings, questions and thoughts. I appreciate this.
ReplyDeletethis is so beautifully written and something that i needed to be reminded of. thank you.
ReplyDeletegreat post, Andrea! thanks :)
ReplyDelete