Day 5: The Sewing Machine

This is day five of my break from facebook, and I am finally feeling the withdrawal symptoms.  How am I supposed to know the weather and the news without seeing Nathan Lewis' status updates?  How am I supposed to keep an eye on those kids in Yap if I can't spy on them through their comments to each other?  What if somebody wrote me a message or a comment that is really crucial and are waiting for my response?  Will the world forget me?!  And the biggest question...what do I do with ALL. THIS. TIME.

Well, one thing I did today was help my mom take care of the "raw edges" of some Bible costumes (aka torn up and sort-of sewed up bedsheets) with our sewing machines.  Yes, I actually have a sewing machine.  And yes, this is the first time I've used it.  My mom bought it from GCA super cheap about five years ago when they were dismantling their home ec program.  I was thankful at the time, but more in the way of...thanks for the "hope chest" for that wedding I might never get to.  Not that I think sewing is only for housewives, I just figured I wouldn't have time or settle down long enough to pack it with me until I was a housewife.  That, and sewing machines intimidate me.  First you have to thread it.  I'm pretty sure that takes a home ec degree right there, or maybe at least a minor in engineering.  Good grief.  I always start trying to figure it out, and then just hand it over to my mom.  Once that is set up, I'm good to go.  Until something stops working, then it's game over.  Or when the thread runs out, like it did today.  Nevertheless, I was pretty proud of my accomplishment and newly acquired skill (or pre-skill).  Still, it's probably a good thing that people will only see those costumes in the dark as they are driving by the Bethlehem Live program that our church is putting on.  And thankfully, there are not too many home ec teachers around to shudder at my mistakes anyway. Since I don't have to worry about that, I might be looking up some ideas for sewing some affordable Christmas presents this year...

For more on facebook withdrawal, you should read this article.  It's kind of funny and sad at the same time. The best part is that you can post it on facebook.  I'll have to wait until Friday though, when my break is over.

Comments

  1. Uhm... I don't think I've ever tried to go without Facebook, I guess because there are some people I would totally lose contact with if I did. That article you linked to was interesting though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I relate very much with this post. I completely wiped out my profile for four months last year, and honestly I miss that. It was frustrating only on the level that when people want to inform you of something, the only way anyone seems able of doing that anymore is through facebook. So, group invites usually forget to email those that don't have facebook. Due to this, I joined again and recreated a new account. Slowly but surely I began to be addicted to it once again. I wish I could disconnect again and perhaps I will. So, I commend your facebook fast. You may find that the longer you fast, the less you feel like checking it when you do go back, and that is refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are using a sewing machine. Not only do you sometimes go running, you also sew. I guess I rubbed off on you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been clean for several weeks. You can do it!

    (ps. the pirate voice did sound better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea, This is crazy. I'm reading your blog at the same time as I'm coming back from being on a week-long Facebook fast myself. It went along with a Bible project on self-denial. Anyway, that picture spoke to me, as did your words. It's funny, I didn't start feeling the withdrawl until about day five... and today, when I went off the fast, I felt strangely... unsatisfied... when I went back on. I really liked the fast. Think it'll happen again soon. :) Also, glad to hear you are recouping well here in the States. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts