Que Sera Sera (An Attempt at Apologetics)



(If that doesn't work, here's the link: http://youtu.be/JlfPY8lzwMk).

This is a video of some mentally and physically challenged kids in Thailand singing "Que Sera Sera," made for a Thai life insurance commercial. I'm not sure I like it being tied to life insurance, but the song struck me anyway, in this context. I've been trying to decide if I like the Doris Day song in general, over the last few days. At first I thought I did. It's about acceptance of the future, whatever comes--especially when you are born into circumstances that seem pretty unchangeable. Perhaps it also appeals to my passive, reactive side that likes to go with the flow--take whatever comes, and deal with it.

But now, after thinking more, I don't like it. It is a sad cry from the heart of humanity for something more--for Someone more. Someone who can change "whatever will be, will be" into something that makes sense, something that is meant to be. It is a cry for Someone who would love us so much, that He would be willing to give up His future to change ours. With this perspective, I think following Jesus offers at least three defiant arguments against this philosophy: prayer, spiritual formation, and Heaven.

Prayer is rebellion against "que sera sera." Whenever I pray, I am asking God to change "lo que sera" (what will be) into "lo que deberia ser" (what should be). (If I translated right.) We don't pray just to talk out our feelings--we pray to ask God to make a difference. Whether that difference is our circumstances, or that we ourselves are becoming more like Jesus as we spend time with Him, it is not left up to "que sera sera."

Spiritual formation. I know some who don't prefer this word, but I think it describes well the process of Jesus' work in me to make me more like Him. It's a mystery, how He does it--through suffering, through joy, through ordinary days and ways, through the Bible. But little by little, as I keep surrendering my will to Him, Jesus changes me from what I was, from what I might have been, to what He wants me to be. It is not left up to chance. It's a decision to give up my way to Jesus, and let Him show me His way. Not whatever will be, will be.

But what about those questions that tear us up inside, when we see total injustice and suffering? Maybe "que sera sera" is an attempt to comfort ourselves that we must live with whatever comes, but that's a pretty lame answer to give to a bunch of kids in Thailand who will never know what "normal" life is like. Jesus isn't just a better "answer" though, to pat each other comfortingly on the back with. He is the only One who can heal the brokenness, bring meaning to our lives, and give us a future and a hope of life beyond this world. I've had discussions with friends about how Christianity has to be about what it does for us now--not just a future in Heaven. That is true, and we are given a command to serve others in need. But the more brokenness I see, the more I am convinced that the ones who suffer the most, if given the hope of Heaven, have something that a little water and bread and health alone could never give them. No matter what we do here on earth to alleviate suffering, it will be--sera. It will be until sin is destroyed forever. But the hope of Heaven gives us courage to face suffering in this world, because we know there is something more. Life will be the way our hearts long for it to be--from avoiding pain to living in perfect community with each other to heart-to-heart, face-to-face discussions with God. There is nothing like suffering to remind you that what will be, is not what should be. Heaven is the gift of hope God has promised to those who follow Him, that someday, "lo que deberia ser, sera." What should be, will be.

Comments

  1. lo que deberia ser,sera! very well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, Juanfer, I forgot that you read this sometimes! I hope I said all that right...if not, blame the online translator. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I miss Thailand right now! I watched a few more of those commercials and showed them to dad. Brought us to tears! After watching those, it seems like they would be ready to receive the Gospel. Wow...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts