What a Wonderful World?
This afternoon I spent some time at Wawona elementary school, which right now is more of a group home-school, due to some political issues with the school district. They still meet in the same building--a picture-perfect, modern school-house, complete with the American flag flying high in front of the parking lot. Inside is full of color, learning resources, two teachers, and 10 kids. I had so much fun.
I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
After I finished reading them a book on the ABCs of America, the head teacher called everyone over to the computer to watch a You-tube video of Louis Armstrong singing "What a Wonderful World." Apparently, they had just read a book together that had the lyrics to the song. Louis Armstrong's great facial expressions were quite entertaining for some of them, and one little boy who was black, kept saying over and over, "That guy looks like me!" (Wawona may not be the most diverse place in California).
I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.
A year ago, maybe exactly, I looked into the faces of other young, energetic students. The fans whirred above us, but the sweat still dripped from our skin as we neared the end of that school day too. I was a very new teacher, and felt like I had no idea what I was doing most of the time. I wasn't sure if it was normal to be interrupted every two seconds, or if I was supposed to be losing my voice trying to talk above them. It seemed that one of them was always angry at another, and someone else was always getting their feelings hurt. But they were really sweet too, drawing me pictures, grabbing my hands at recess, and picking bright pink flowers for my hair. They had been through a lot in the past few months, learning more about our sin-sick world than they should have to know at their age.
The colors of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people passing by
I see friends shakin' hands, sayin' "How do you do?"
They're really saying "I love you."
We opened our Social Studies books and began reviewing for the upcoming final exam. Page by page, chapter by chapter, we looked at the pictures, remembered the concepts...until we came to the pages with the lyrics to "What a Wonderful World." They told me Miss Kirsten had taught them the song, so I asked them if they would like to sing it. They did. I didn't know it very well, but started into it anyway, and they softly joined in. For a few moments, the only thing heard in our echoing classroom were gentle, quiet voices singing the song, with sober, pensive faces. The sacred moment didn't last too long after the song ended, but it echoed in my heart long after the school-bell rang that day.
I hear babies cryin', I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Yes, I think to myself, what a wonderful world.
This afternoon, at the little elementary school in Wawona, the teacher closed the You-tube video and picked up the "What a Wonderful World" book. She asked the students if they would like to sing it. They did. So she started in, a bit unsure of the tune, but the kids' joined in with smiling faces, and a few Louis Armstrong impressions now and then.
And I think to myself...is it a wonderful world? There is so much heart-ache, so much wrong with our world. Can we so easily dismiss those things by singing a cheerful song? Or do we too easily dismiss the wonders of our world--children, music, color, blue skies, puffy clouds, starry nights, scented pines, roses, and Jesus Himself--to hold on to our pain? There is always a need for balance in life. If you do not allow yourself to feel pain, you will not be able to feel true joy either. Choosing a life of joy and peace in the midst of pain and disillusionment sets you free to experience God's abundant grace in ways you could never imagine.
Relentless optimism is not foolish. It is at the core of the Christian life in a world of suffering (take a look at 1st or 2nd Peter). Yet our optimism is not just based on finding joy here, but also in the promise of another world--a Heavenly world, where all is set right. The assurance of that world-to-come gives us hope in this here-and-now world, and opens our eyes to the blessings God gives us on our way there.
Yes, I think to myself, what a wonderful world.
I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
After I finished reading them a book on the ABCs of America, the head teacher called everyone over to the computer to watch a You-tube video of Louis Armstrong singing "What a Wonderful World." Apparently, they had just read a book together that had the lyrics to the song. Louis Armstrong's great facial expressions were quite entertaining for some of them, and one little boy who was black, kept saying over and over, "That guy looks like me!" (Wawona may not be the most diverse place in California).
I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.
A year ago, maybe exactly, I looked into the faces of other young, energetic students. The fans whirred above us, but the sweat still dripped from our skin as we neared the end of that school day too. I was a very new teacher, and felt like I had no idea what I was doing most of the time. I wasn't sure if it was normal to be interrupted every two seconds, or if I was supposed to be losing my voice trying to talk above them. It seemed that one of them was always angry at another, and someone else was always getting their feelings hurt. But they were really sweet too, drawing me pictures, grabbing my hands at recess, and picking bright pink flowers for my hair. They had been through a lot in the past few months, learning more about our sin-sick world than they should have to know at their age.
The colors of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people passing by
I see friends shakin' hands, sayin' "How do you do?"
They're really saying "I love you."
We opened our Social Studies books and began reviewing for the upcoming final exam. Page by page, chapter by chapter, we looked at the pictures, remembered the concepts...until we came to the pages with the lyrics to "What a Wonderful World." They told me Miss Kirsten had taught them the song, so I asked them if they would like to sing it. They did. I didn't know it very well, but started into it anyway, and they softly joined in. For a few moments, the only thing heard in our echoing classroom were gentle, quiet voices singing the song, with sober, pensive faces. The sacred moment didn't last too long after the song ended, but it echoed in my heart long after the school-bell rang that day.
I hear babies cryin', I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Yes, I think to myself, what a wonderful world.
This afternoon, at the little elementary school in Wawona, the teacher closed the You-tube video and picked up the "What a Wonderful World" book. She asked the students if they would like to sing it. They did. So she started in, a bit unsure of the tune, but the kids' joined in with smiling faces, and a few Louis Armstrong impressions now and then.
And I think to myself...is it a wonderful world? There is so much heart-ache, so much wrong with our world. Can we so easily dismiss those things by singing a cheerful song? Or do we too easily dismiss the wonders of our world--children, music, color, blue skies, puffy clouds, starry nights, scented pines, roses, and Jesus Himself--to hold on to our pain? There is always a need for balance in life. If you do not allow yourself to feel pain, you will not be able to feel true joy either. Choosing a life of joy and peace in the midst of pain and disillusionment sets you free to experience God's abundant grace in ways you could never imagine.
Relentless optimism is not foolish. It is at the core of the Christian life in a world of suffering (take a look at 1st or 2nd Peter). Yet our optimism is not just based on finding joy here, but also in the promise of another world--a Heavenly world, where all is set right. The assurance of that world-to-come gives us hope in this here-and-now world, and opens our eyes to the blessings God gives us on our way there.
Yes, I think to myself, what a wonderful world.


Thank you Andrea. "And a young adult offspring shall lead them." Love you. Mom xo
ReplyDeleteYou are a master of feeling and thinking.
ReplyDeletethanks for writing this
ReplyDelete