A Night in America
I spent the night in America last night. Some of us SMs stayed up to take several of the Canvasback mission trip group to the airport at about 2 this morning, and then got to finish the night in their nearly vacant rooms (there are still a few here from the group). Canvasback has been staying at the Manta Ray Hotel—one of the nicest places in Yap, and created by an American to cater to tourists. Here are some of the benefits of our mini-vacation.
--Aila and I laid out by the pool to look up at the moon and fell asleep until we needed to get up at 2. This was complete with good conversation, a gentle ocean breeze, and yes, a little sprinkle, but it was ok.
--Sleeping in until at least 9 in the morning in an air-conditioned room. Can I just say that again? Air conditioning. I hope no one takes it for granted, because it’s one of the best inventions of mankind. It was so cold we had to use BLANKETS. I barely even remembered what it was like to feel all that weight covering me, but it was lovely. THEN…here’s my favorite part…we got to take HOT SHOWERS. That was perhaps one of the longest showers I’ve taken, but who can blame me? It’s the first hot shower I’ve had in about three months. It might have been the first time I really wanted it too, though, since it was so cold in the room.
America was beautiful. But so is the simple life here in Yap.
--Aila and I laid out by the pool to look up at the moon and fell asleep until we needed to get up at 2. This was complete with good conversation, a gentle ocean breeze, and yes, a little sprinkle, but it was ok.
--Sleeping in until at least 9 in the morning in an air-conditioned room. Can I just say that again? Air conditioning. I hope no one takes it for granted, because it’s one of the best inventions of mankind. It was so cold we had to use BLANKETS. I barely even remembered what it was like to feel all that weight covering me, but it was lovely. THEN…here’s my favorite part…we got to take HOT SHOWERS. That was perhaps one of the longest showers I’ve taken, but who can blame me? It’s the first hot shower I’ve had in about three months. It might have been the first time I really wanted it too, though, since it was so cold in the room.
America was beautiful. But so is the simple life here in Yap.

Don't worry I totally understand. I took hot showers twice a day in the heat of Alamisco that first summer I was back :0)
ReplyDelete