Jesus is With Us
Emma is the sweetest girl. Big brown eyes, curly black hair, and cute smile, she’s already stealing the hearts of little boys in her class, but in a way that is still quite innocent. She seems quiet at first, but has the loudest voice in the classroom if she knows the answer to the question. (Somehow she forgets my repeated reminders about raising her hand). She actually has made a trip to the principal’s office once recently because of some note-writing that we’ve decided is not permissible. I didn’t know it was not allowed until Ms. Mary (the principal’s wife and Kindergarten teacher, who knows all the kids quite well) was pointing out the reasons and the problems that were coming with the trend. She is right, and unfortunately, Emma, along with another friend, were repeated offenders, and thus have had their chat with Mr. Fonseka. Actually, that was the second time she’s had a chat with the principal, come to think of it. A few weeks ago, I caught her and another friend with betel nut. I didn’t know that was such a serious offense either until I checked with the principal. Thankfully they had mercy and she wasn’t suspended, but they talked with her parents.
But I’ve never seen a girl who more actively remembers Jesus, even in the midst of her failures and bad days. Anywhere and everywhere, she is always writing, “I love Jesus” or “We love you Jesus,” with lots of hearts. Today I was grading her papers, and on every one she wrote, “Jesus is with us.” It reminded me of the first or second week I was here, she gave me a piece of paper with a little drawing, and the simple sentence, “Jesus is with you.” That was like Jesus Himself whispering into my ear.
I am thinking about writing “Jesus is with us” on everything I write too. So simple, yet so profound. Emma knows what grace is all about—His presence, even in our bad days and mistakes. I have so much to learn from her.
But I’ve never seen a girl who more actively remembers Jesus, even in the midst of her failures and bad days. Anywhere and everywhere, she is always writing, “I love Jesus” or “We love you Jesus,” with lots of hearts. Today I was grading her papers, and on every one she wrote, “Jesus is with us.” It reminded me of the first or second week I was here, she gave me a piece of paper with a little drawing, and the simple sentence, “Jesus is with you.” That was like Jesus Himself whispering into my ear.
I am thinking about writing “Jesus is with us” on everything I write too. So simple, yet so profound. Emma knows what grace is all about—His presence, even in our bad days and mistakes. I have so much to learn from her.

Out of the mouths of babes... I'm so proud of you for having a teachable spirit! Don't ever lose your ability to hear God speak to you in all circumstances, through all kinds of (often unexpected) means.
ReplyDeleteGod's peace and other blessings on you, Andrea. Thanks again for letting us journey and discover with you.
Jesus is with us and I like you because you are nice to each other.
ReplyDeleteAnd I have much to learn too. Thanks for passing this experience on. Love you.
ReplyDeleteUm, BEAUTIFUL.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
Ahhh so sweet!!! Jesus is da best!
ReplyDelete