Yap was Awesome

Sitting in Guam airport now, waiting for our flight to Kwajalein. This visit to Yap felt much too short--I guess because it was much shorter than it was supposed to be. But also because it was so beautiful.

Since I'm a few days behind in writing, I will just have to share the highlights...

1. The moment I could see the small crowd waiting for us through the gate--especially the familiar faces and the big welcome banner. The smiles and tears made the moment sweeter than I could have imagined--love those kids. :)

2. One of my former students left the school and I haven't seen any photos of her since 4th grade. She also came briefly to welcome me at the airport and I literally didn't recognize her until she said her name! I never thought that would happen to me! But her face was so different and she was so much taller! (Taller than me). A lovely surprise.

3. Graduation. All of it. I didn't cry, but couldn't stop smiling most of the time. It was fun and extra meaningful to be there with them since they postponed graduation for us. Our speeches went well, and just continue to pray that God continues His work in these students, their families, and the school.

4. Taking pictures and receiving leis from students. Also ran into another former student that I hadn't seen since 4th grade. So cool!

5. Sailing in a Yapese canoe!! 

6. Banquet with 8th graders and families, and presenting gift bags to each of them which included a photo book of all their elementary years with messages from their former teachers. They loved it! Had fun signing each other's books.

7. Heart-felt thank-you's and gifts from students and parents.

8. Enjoying good conversation and Pakistani tea (and lunch) with new friends who are missionaries there from Pakistan.

9. Prayer time at the deck.

10. Mint coconut oil from George--no problem with mosquitoes!

11. Swimming with sharks and hunting for manta rays (which never came, like last time, unfortunately.) it's the wrong season but it was still a good possibility. But honestly--the snorkeling was everything I love and remember about Yap--incredible colors of fish and coral.

12. Seeing the changes on campus like the new gym.

13. Experiencing Yap in full health.

God has been incredibly good. So thankful for this gift of time that will always stand out in my memory. And now, on to Ebeye to see friends and help however we can.









Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts