Texas Roots: Fading Away

We're closing down day two, and I'm starting to feel old. Not because I'm tired or sore or anything, but because we looked around the campus where my parents taught, Valley Grande Academy. It was a silent campus, but not because all the students were on break. The school was closed down this year. You know, the old sad story of politics and such. But sadly, it's another piece of my history that is now closed. Am I that old?

Anyway, we did enjoy visiting the church where I was dedicated, and eating lunch with a family that my parents knew. Then we snuck onto campus to take a look around. I half-hoped the cops might show up and give us a hard time, only for us to explain our heart-felt story, and all have a good laugh. Even better, one of the cops would have been one of my dad's former students. But that didn't happen. Instead, we toured the abandoned campus in the howling wind and ominus clouds, which seemed to set the stage appropriately. Mom and Dad pointed out various sights--the classrooms they taught in, my dad's office, the room where the staff had a baby shower for my mom, the orange grove. It was a pretty campus, and in some ways, reminded me a little bit of the island schools. Or maybe that's just because it was warm and windy. And the palm trees and flowers.

Then we drove by the house we lived in. Thankfully, it looked good. New paint, a new roof, and well taken-care of. Unfortunately (or was it fortunately?) the current residents were not home, so we could not have the awkward privilege of touring inside. But it was nice to see that something survived the 33 years! 

Whether I'm actually old or not, it's pretty much a fact of life that places, people, feelings, colors, beauty, value, memories...pretty much everything fades eventually. In this world. But when our faith is in Jesus and His reality, the fading just reminds us of another world He has promised that will never fade away.

"And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever." 1 John 2:17

Weslaco church, where I was dedicated

Sneaking around the closed campus


The house where we lived




Comments

Popular Posts