The Dancing Lady

Many mornings, on my way to work, I see this lady.  If it's a warm morning, she's in shorts and a t-shirt, and if it's cold, she's bundled up with a hat, scarf, and a velvet sweatsuit.  But one thing she always has is her iPod and ear-pieces.  If it were just that, I would categorize her with the rest of the motivated morning-exercisers and forget about her in a couple of seconds.  However, there is one thing that makes her different.

This lady dances down the sidewalk.  You know how those people on the street-corners hold up Domino's Pizza or "We Buy Gold" signs, and dance their hearts out for a living?  It's like that, only she is not getting paid, and she is somehow moving down the sidewalk at the same time.  You can tell it is more than for the sake of exercise too--she's fully committed to whatever song she is experiencing, breakin' it down.  I'm actually impressed she can keep her balance and keep moving in a consistent direction at the same time.

Well, why not?  You can walk like you're supposed to through a normal day of life, or you can dance and make it a lot more fun.  Unfortunately, that does not always come naturally for me (even clogging took awhile for me to figure out), but I've been learning that there are a lot of things these days that I have to just bring to Jesus.  One is my low expectations and another is pursuing the path of least resistance.  I like to think my excuses are legitimate.  I mean, I spent the last decade of my life dancing outside of my comfort zone, so maybe I should be ok with walking for awhile.  Even when I was dancing outside of my comfort zone I often craved walking instead of enjoying the dance.  And now that I'm walking...it is getting a little boring.  But only until I remember there is much more ahead, the day is full of surprises, the best is yet to come.  No, life is NOT a bed of roses, and I hate rose-colored glasses, or any color actually--it looks like you're trying too hard to be rock star.  But something I have realized in this last decade is that if you have Jesus calling the shots, you won't be bored for long.  So I might as well start practicing my newest dance moves. (Figuratively speaking, of course.)
The lady I see on my way to work could just be doing her own form of "Prancercise," but makes it look 50 times cooler than its creator in this video.  Although Joanna Rohrback is pretty darn cool.

Comments

  1. so when you start doing it can I get a video? ;) It is good to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOOOOO! I don't want to be stuck prancersizing! Let's not do it for our next bet!!!!! Unless of course I win and don't have to :)

      Delete
    2. Haha...whatever, you haven't lost since 2006, so you have nothing to worry about.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts