10 Things I Love About Work
Here are a few good reasons why I enjoy going to work:
1. Carol
There are actually several Carols, but the one I am referring to works right across the hall from me. Since I work in a cubicle island (see below), I often hear her joyful expressions throughout the day. Sometimes it's just laughter and encouraging phone conversations. One time it was singing a duet with the president (who had stopped by to visit and is also really fun) an old classic song about smiling. Often one will hear her say things rather loudly out of nowhere, it seems:
"Praise Jesus!"
"Hallalujah!"
"What would I do without Jesus?"
She is always one to ask your name and how you're doing. One time when I met her in the kitchen she complemented me on how "dainty" I looked. I'd never heard that one before, but I decided I felt more dainty after that.
Carol is the one who often leads out in the singing at NAD staff meeting once a month. No accompaniment--just a strong voice, and expressive choir-conducting hands. She's not afraid to clap either. At a 4th of July concert put on by several GC and NAD staff, she was more entertaining to watch than the people performing. (By the way, if you don't know what all these initials mean, just ask, and I'll translate for you). She has more life than most people I know, and she makes walking with Jesus look like a lot of fun. And the best part is...she is in her 70s.
2. Island Cubicle
People are able to walk on three sides of our cubicle office space, which means we hear all kinds of interesting conversations. Sometimes it's people taking tours of the office. Other times it's people checking in on each other to see how their grandchildren are doing. And some times it's somebody sneezing and Carol calling out, "Bless somebody!" It really is quite entertaining, but only a few times do I think about how many conversations that others overhear from our office. I'm sure they are just as entertainted.
3. Entertaining Office Conversations
Seriously, we do work--a lot. But sometimes we have to talk about an issue and it will evolve into a conversation about something barely related. We can hit just about any topic. I thought about naming a few, but I'll just leave it to your imagination.
4. Very Little to No Drama
And when someone calls wanting to add some, I just pass them on to my supervisor. :)
5. Lunch with HR Benefits Specialist
I usually eat with Carissa in the cafeteria at lunch. She recently graduated from Southern, and we both started work about the same time. We are both also pastor's kids (well, her dad is a conference president) and both are working for the Secretariat Department, though in our own little subcategories. Anyway, we have a lot of fun chatting about growing up with younger brothers or adjusting to Maryland life or thinking up ideas about how to pull pranks on security. Well, not really. I just had one idea to put a sensor-activated speaker right by the Pathfinder manikins so it would say a nice, cheerful "HELLO!" when they whiz by on their Segway during night-checks. Since I just published it to the world, I guess we won't do that, so don't worry.
6. All my Bosses
I've realized I have several of them. But I like all of them. I can tell they are motivated by their love for Jesus and people, and they are get-er-done kind of people. They also all have a great sense of humor.
7. The Free Table
It's in the work room. If you want to give stuff away, leave it there. If you want to get free stuff, go find it there. It's like the kitchenette/laundry rooms in the girls' dorm at Southern. Sometimes people leave food. Those are my favorite times. Today, somebody brought bagels and caramel popcorn, but by the time I got there, there was only a half of a bagel left, but that was good enough. There was still plenty of cream cheese.
8. My Printer
I absolutely LOVE my printer! I might have taken its perfect and seamless productivity for granted if I had not fought a long and inky war with several printers in Yap. I shall NEVER take this printer for granted. Ever. Ever. Sometimes it makes me a little emotional (tears of joy), so I better stop now.
9. Microsoft Outlook Rules
Do you know about this? I might have quit my awesome job by now if I had not learned of this incredibly helpful tool. Basically it means your emails are sorted for you as they come in! Organized. Efficient. Time-saving. Sanity-saving.
10. Birthdays
They sing happy birthday to anybody and everybody at the NAD, but we hear that such happenings are not as common in other parts of the GC building. So we've taken it upon ourselves to share some of the birthday joy with some of our Adventist Volunteer Service teammates who work in the GC who have had birthdays in the last few weeks. We have to sing softly, but I get to play my ukulele so it's still a mini (quiet) party. Then we give them a card and pray with them. It's nice. They like it.
There's plenty more, but I'll stop at 10. It's always good to count those blessings though. You should try it!
1. Carol
There are actually several Carols, but the one I am referring to works right across the hall from me. Since I work in a cubicle island (see below), I often hear her joyful expressions throughout the day. Sometimes it's just laughter and encouraging phone conversations. One time it was singing a duet with the president (who had stopped by to visit and is also really fun) an old classic song about smiling. Often one will hear her say things rather loudly out of nowhere, it seems:
"Praise Jesus!"
"Hallalujah!"
"What would I do without Jesus?"
She is always one to ask your name and how you're doing. One time when I met her in the kitchen she complemented me on how "dainty" I looked. I'd never heard that one before, but I decided I felt more dainty after that.
Carol is the one who often leads out in the singing at NAD staff meeting once a month. No accompaniment--just a strong voice, and expressive choir-conducting hands. She's not afraid to clap either. At a 4th of July concert put on by several GC and NAD staff, she was more entertaining to watch than the people performing. (By the way, if you don't know what all these initials mean, just ask, and I'll translate for you). She has more life than most people I know, and she makes walking with Jesus look like a lot of fun. And the best part is...she is in her 70s.
2. Island Cubicle
People are able to walk on three sides of our cubicle office space, which means we hear all kinds of interesting conversations. Sometimes it's people taking tours of the office. Other times it's people checking in on each other to see how their grandchildren are doing. And some times it's somebody sneezing and Carol calling out, "Bless somebody!" It really is quite entertaining, but only a few times do I think about how many conversations that others overhear from our office. I'm sure they are just as entertainted.
3. Entertaining Office Conversations
Seriously, we do work--a lot. But sometimes we have to talk about an issue and it will evolve into a conversation about something barely related. We can hit just about any topic. I thought about naming a few, but I'll just leave it to your imagination.
4. Very Little to No Drama
And when someone calls wanting to add some, I just pass them on to my supervisor. :)
5. Lunch with HR Benefits Specialist
I usually eat with Carissa in the cafeteria at lunch. She recently graduated from Southern, and we both started work about the same time. We are both also pastor's kids (well, her dad is a conference president) and both are working for the Secretariat Department, though in our own little subcategories. Anyway, we have a lot of fun chatting about growing up with younger brothers or adjusting to Maryland life or thinking up ideas about how to pull pranks on security. Well, not really. I just had one idea to put a sensor-activated speaker right by the Pathfinder manikins so it would say a nice, cheerful "HELLO!" when they whiz by on their Segway during night-checks. Since I just published it to the world, I guess we won't do that, so don't worry.
6. All my Bosses
I've realized I have several of them. But I like all of them. I can tell they are motivated by their love for Jesus and people, and they are get-er-done kind of people. They also all have a great sense of humor.
7. The Free Table
It's in the work room. If you want to give stuff away, leave it there. If you want to get free stuff, go find it there. It's like the kitchenette/laundry rooms in the girls' dorm at Southern. Sometimes people leave food. Those are my favorite times. Today, somebody brought bagels and caramel popcorn, but by the time I got there, there was only a half of a bagel left, but that was good enough. There was still plenty of cream cheese.
8. My Printer
I absolutely LOVE my printer! I might have taken its perfect and seamless productivity for granted if I had not fought a long and inky war with several printers in Yap. I shall NEVER take this printer for granted. Ever. Ever. Sometimes it makes me a little emotional (tears of joy), so I better stop now.
9. Microsoft Outlook Rules
Do you know about this? I might have quit my awesome job by now if I had not learned of this incredibly helpful tool. Basically it means your emails are sorted for you as they come in! Organized. Efficient. Time-saving. Sanity-saving.
10. Birthdays
They sing happy birthday to anybody and everybody at the NAD, but we hear that such happenings are not as common in other parts of the GC building. So we've taken it upon ourselves to share some of the birthday joy with some of our Adventist Volunteer Service teammates who work in the GC who have had birthdays in the last few weeks. We have to sing softly, but I get to play my ukulele so it's still a mini (quiet) party. Then we give them a card and pray with them. It's nice. They like it.
![]() |
| One of our entertaining conversations. |


I am glad you like your job, workplace and new friends! I want to take a tour!
ReplyDeleteYou'd probably be a good tour guide, once you got all the facts straight. :)
DeleteYay! So awesome, Andrea :)
ReplyDeleteHurray for #4!
ReplyDeleteConfirmation spelled out in black and white. God has you right where He wants you to be, I think. Music to the ears. Or music to the eyes... Love You!
ReplyDeletei just figured out how to log in so i won't be anonymous. That last one was me. :)
ReplyDelete