Parable of the Key Maker
The sign above the small, old building looked like it had survived a war, but the "ACE" logo was still barely visible. A little unsure if this was the place my dad was talking about, and if it was actually in business, I was comforted at the sight of stocked merchandise through the window. I walked in, and suddenly left 2013-Calhoun behind for 1993-Calhoun. It was quiet and organized, like a library for hardware goods. The "librarian" was an elderly man behind the counter, focused on some small object he was tinkering with. He looked up and greeted me, and even though he wasn't exactly the same, he really made me miss my grandpa.
"I need a key made for my Kia. I tried Home Depot, but it was too thick, so I thought I'd check with you guys," I told him as I handed over my car key. He silently took it, studied it for a minute, and went over and studied a rack of keys until he found the right one. I waited quietly. On his way back to the key machine at the counter he commented on the sunshine outside, but that was the last he said before turning to his work. Like a master craftsman, he placed the keys in their appropriate places and fired up the grinder. It was the old-fashioned kind, naturally, and required his full attention--carefully grinding, checking, grinding some more, checking some more. After several minutes, he examined the key, then did some personalized free-style grinding on a few rough edges. Then he turned and handed me the key and told me to try it out. I did, and of course it worked perfectly. I returned to confirm and pay (cheaper than Home Depot too), and smiled at his final words: "Come on back, now."
In a quiet, out-of-the way place where we least expect it, another Master Craftsman takes his time shaping our lives to fit the work He has created us to do. We wait in silence, and wait some more. We hope all this waiting will be worth it. But we have nothing to fear, because He makes no mistakes. We will see it with our own eyes: doors opened, a calling that fits, a life that resembles the life of Jesus. A life that will bring Him glory--and more business.
Don't worry, I'll be back. And I'll spread the word.
"I need a key made for my Kia. I tried Home Depot, but it was too thick, so I thought I'd check with you guys," I told him as I handed over my car key. He silently took it, studied it for a minute, and went over and studied a rack of keys until he found the right one. I waited quietly. On his way back to the key machine at the counter he commented on the sunshine outside, but that was the last he said before turning to his work. Like a master craftsman, he placed the keys in their appropriate places and fired up the grinder. It was the old-fashioned kind, naturally, and required his full attention--carefully grinding, checking, grinding some more, checking some more. After several minutes, he examined the key, then did some personalized free-style grinding on a few rough edges. Then he turned and handed me the key and told me to try it out. I did, and of course it worked perfectly. I returned to confirm and pay (cheaper than Home Depot too), and smiled at his final words: "Come on back, now."
In a quiet, out-of-the way place where we least expect it, another Master Craftsman takes his time shaping our lives to fit the work He has created us to do. We wait in silence, and wait some more. We hope all this waiting will be worth it. But we have nothing to fear, because He makes no mistakes. We will see it with our own eyes: doors opened, a calling that fits, a life that resembles the life of Jesus. A life that will bring Him glory--and more business.
Don't worry, I'll be back. And I'll spread the word.


Comments
Post a Comment