My Faith Shall Be My Eyes
My suitcase is open and spilling out across my room. I've been avoiding it all day, finding all kinds of things to do rather than unpack. But usually when I finally start the process, I can just dive in and "get 'er done," but...not this time. It's easier to sit here in the middle of the mess and temporarily accept it. Perhaps a metaphor for my life at the moment as well.
I just got back from Canada, where I visited CUC for my recruiting job, and spent some time with my Yap-suffering-buddy, Pamela. We had a lot of fun, and it was definitely my favorite recruiting trip so far. It's kind of hard to beat the Canadian Rockies, Banff, a gondola ride, and a hot springs, not to mention good people to hang out with, like Pam. I hadn't laughed or talked that much in awhile.
The gondola ride was one of those great trust-building exercises, where you have to kind of hold your breath a little bit the whole time, as if that will help make you lighter and guarantee that you will stay in the sky. But, since we were able to stay in the sky, the views were spectacular. Well, almost spectacular. Most of the mountain peaks were a bit hidden in snow-clouds, but it was still decent on the gondola ride. When we first got to the top of the mountain, however, we saw this "spectacular" view:
The bottom of the above photo is an info plaque that shows what you are supposed to see from that point, and the blank whiteness beyond is what we actually could see. Amazing. Thankfully, by the time we were on our way back from a walk to a nearby lookout, a few of the clouds had parted for some sun rays to break through and hint that the plaque was telling the truth about the view.
Oh yes, definitely another metaphor for my life at present. Right now I feel like I'm looking at the plaque that shows what I'm supposed to be seeing. I feel like I have these promises in the Bible, and a few whisperings that God has tucked away in my heart from conversations and thoughts. It's my plaque of faith, and as thankful as I am for it, there is nothing in real view that looks anything like it. Instead, all I see is blank whiteness in my future. From what I can actually see with my eyes, there is nothing out there--only an idea on my plaque of faith that something actually exists beyond the thick clouds.
"Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see." Hebrews 11:1 (NLT)
But for now, all I can do is wait and keep walking and praying that someday, hopefully soon, God will begin to blow away the thick clouds and reveal His plans for my life--maybe not the whole thing, but at least the next step. I know the moment will be stunning, as the rough sketch of faith comes to life in majestic glistening peaks.
And if I have this hope of seeing a glimpse of His plan for me on earth, it gives me even greater hope to think about the final sigh of complete satisfaction in Heaven, the ultimate revealing of His perfect plan. My faith shall be my eyes.
P.S. I gave up on the unpacking. I'll do it tomorrow.
I just got back from Canada, where I visited CUC for my recruiting job, and spent some time with my Yap-suffering-buddy, Pamela. We had a lot of fun, and it was definitely my favorite recruiting trip so far. It's kind of hard to beat the Canadian Rockies, Banff, a gondola ride, and a hot springs, not to mention good people to hang out with, like Pam. I hadn't laughed or talked that much in awhile.
The gondola ride was one of those great trust-building exercises, where you have to kind of hold your breath a little bit the whole time, as if that will help make you lighter and guarantee that you will stay in the sky. But, since we were able to stay in the sky, the views were spectacular. Well, almost spectacular. Most of the mountain peaks were a bit hidden in snow-clouds, but it was still decent on the gondola ride. When we first got to the top of the mountain, however, we saw this "spectacular" view:
The bottom of the above photo is an info plaque that shows what you are supposed to see from that point, and the blank whiteness beyond is what we actually could see. Amazing. Thankfully, by the time we were on our way back from a walk to a nearby lookout, a few of the clouds had parted for some sun rays to break through and hint that the plaque was telling the truth about the view.
Oh yes, definitely another metaphor for my life at present. Right now I feel like I'm looking at the plaque that shows what I'm supposed to be seeing. I feel like I have these promises in the Bible, and a few whisperings that God has tucked away in my heart from conversations and thoughts. It's my plaque of faith, and as thankful as I am for it, there is nothing in real view that looks anything like it. Instead, all I see is blank whiteness in my future. From what I can actually see with my eyes, there is nothing out there--only an idea on my plaque of faith that something actually exists beyond the thick clouds.
"Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see." Hebrews 11:1 (NLT)
But for now, all I can do is wait and keep walking and praying that someday, hopefully soon, God will begin to blow away the thick clouds and reveal His plans for my life--maybe not the whole thing, but at least the next step. I know the moment will be stunning, as the rough sketch of faith comes to life in majestic glistening peaks.
There's a day that's drawing near
When this darkness breaks to light
And the shadows disappear
And my faith shall be my eyes
And if I have this hope of seeing a glimpse of His plan for me on earth, it gives me even greater hope to think about the final sigh of complete satisfaction in Heaven, the ultimate revealing of His perfect plan. My faith shall be my eyes.
P.S. I gave up on the unpacking. I'll do it tomorrow.

Comments
Post a Comment