Here I Go
After much waiting around and praying, mowing lawns and cleaning the house, I got a part-time, temporary job as a recruiter for Guam-Micronesia Mission. Today is my first day, at Andrews University, and I'll be here for about a week before moving on to Washington Adventist University next week. Here is the story.
A few weeks ago I was in one of my "desperate days"--pleading with God and very restless. I decided to do a little clean-up in the cemetery behind our house. While I was doing that, I was praying and thinking, and a thought came into my mind. I finished up what I was doing and emailed a lady I knew at GMM to ask her if they'd ever thought of hiring someone in the States to recruit student missionaries for the islands, especially since they still didn't have an education director, who usually does that. I told her I would be willing--even if it was just part-time or temporary, if they were interested. She emailed back that she thought it was a great idea and would talk to some others there about it. By the end of the following week, we got the green light, and last night worked out the details of my job status and pay, and how everything will work. Basically, I will do this through about February, or until I get a full-time job, whichever comes first. It means traveling to six SDA universities, and maybe a few more places, setting up a booth, talking with students who might be interested in teaching in the islands next year as student missionaries, and collecting their names and information to follow-up with them. For being a part-time, temporary job, I am really excited about it, and feel like everything I have learned so far in the Student Missions office at Southern, in Yap, and even all those medical stays in Guam--all contribute and help make this a "dream job" for me. I have seen God work it all out faster than I could have guessed, and nothing else is...so I will follow, and trust Him to take care of long-term plans whenever I have to cross that bridge.
This morning, I found a little summary of Matthew 10 that I wrote in my devotional journal about a month ago. It's on the theme of ministry and evangelism I guess, but as I start this next little adventure in recruiting student missionaries, it seems quite appropriate.
-Authority to minister is given by Jesus to His disciples. (Not just a job or man-made status).
-Don't worry about your needs in ministry--God will provide.
-Don't worry about whether people accept you or your message--just share.
-Don't worry about what to say to witness--the Holy Spirit will provide words.
-Expect rejection. The student is not greater than the Teacher.
-Don't worry about physical death, but about people and things that take the life out of your soul and your eternity, your spiritual life.
- Please God. He's the One who cares the most about you, and has the most power over your life.
-Jesus' message doesn't always bring peace. Sometimes it brings conflict.
-You must love Jesus more than your family or your own life plans.
-You will find life in Jesus if you give up your own way.
-Welcome God's workers, and you'll share in their reward.
-Welcome the "least" of Jesus followers, and you'll be rewarded.
A few weeks ago I was in one of my "desperate days"--pleading with God and very restless. I decided to do a little clean-up in the cemetery behind our house. While I was doing that, I was praying and thinking, and a thought came into my mind. I finished up what I was doing and emailed a lady I knew at GMM to ask her if they'd ever thought of hiring someone in the States to recruit student missionaries for the islands, especially since they still didn't have an education director, who usually does that. I told her I would be willing--even if it was just part-time or temporary, if they were interested. She emailed back that she thought it was a great idea and would talk to some others there about it. By the end of the following week, we got the green light, and last night worked out the details of my job status and pay, and how everything will work. Basically, I will do this through about February, or until I get a full-time job, whichever comes first. It means traveling to six SDA universities, and maybe a few more places, setting up a booth, talking with students who might be interested in teaching in the islands next year as student missionaries, and collecting their names and information to follow-up with them. For being a part-time, temporary job, I am really excited about it, and feel like everything I have learned so far in the Student Missions office at Southern, in Yap, and even all those medical stays in Guam--all contribute and help make this a "dream job" for me. I have seen God work it all out faster than I could have guessed, and nothing else is...so I will follow, and trust Him to take care of long-term plans whenever I have to cross that bridge.
This morning, I found a little summary of Matthew 10 that I wrote in my devotional journal about a month ago. It's on the theme of ministry and evangelism I guess, but as I start this next little adventure in recruiting student missionaries, it seems quite appropriate.
-Authority to minister is given by Jesus to His disciples. (Not just a job or man-made status).
-Don't worry about your needs in ministry--God will provide.
-Don't worry about whether people accept you or your message--just share.
-Don't worry about what to say to witness--the Holy Spirit will provide words.
-Expect rejection. The student is not greater than the Teacher.
-Don't worry about physical death, but about people and things that take the life out of your soul and your eternity, your spiritual life.
- Please God. He's the One who cares the most about you, and has the most power over your life.
-Jesus' message doesn't always bring peace. Sometimes it brings conflict.
-You must love Jesus more than your family or your own life plans.
-You will find life in Jesus if you give up your own way.
-Welcome God's workers, and you'll share in their reward.
-Welcome the "least" of Jesus followers, and you'll be rewarded.


Excellent Andrea. We're with you. Love you!
ReplyDeleteHOT DOG!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteFantastic! A good job, and there'll be many people who have good years - and good teachers -because of it. Encourages me to not wait for openings to materialize always - pitching a idea sometimes leads great places!
ReplyDeleteYes Jesus, yes.
ReplyDeleteSo excited for you, Andrea! Can't think of a better person to do the job.
ReplyDelete