Seasons
Have you ever seen fresh, spring leaves glitter in the sunshine? I was sitting down by the Merced River in Yosemite Valley, looking across at the thundering Yosemite Falls. A warm breeze hugged me as it passed by, and moved on to the trees with their glittering leaves. Between making a cleaning schedule and taking in the view, I thought a little about the other seasons of Yosemite Valley I have seen…
I remember it in the summer. The first time I ever saw Camp Wawona or Yosemite, it was August. It was kind of hot, but the evening sun made a great jumping shot picture at the Tunnel View overlook. Bridalveil Falls was barely making it to the valley floor. Tourists were swarming.
I remember it in the fall. My second outdoor school group seemed to enjoy it as much as I did, with all the colors on the dogwoods and oaks. But I had to almost convince them that there really was such a thing as a giant Yosemite Falls. We talked about the “evidence” of a waterfall being there, by looking at the watermarks on the granite wall.
I remember it in the winter. Sonya and I hiked out to Mirror Lake to get a breath-taking view of Half Dome covered in snow. We watched a few silly tourists sledding down little snow-paths on the hill that looked as hard as concrete. It was quieter. But there was more water in the river.
And now, the spring. Thundering Yosemite and Bridalveil Falls. Glittering, fresh leaves. Warm breezes. Outdoor school cookout by the Merced River. And I’m paid to be here.
As I think about it, I also realize my personal journey this year has kind of matched these seasons of the Valley. Transitioning from the hot, dry summer, to the withdrawing of autumn, to the silence of winter, and finally the awakening of spring. God has brought me through and taught me much here in the wilderness. I am thankful for the journey, and those who have shared it with me this year.

I'm glad you got to see Yosemite in each season...it's pretty crazy how different each on is from the others. Also, it was great to have been part of your journey there. Hope the trip home is a safe one!
ReplyDeleteThanks. I'm glad you were here for this too.
ReplyDeleteWow, thats really neat.
ReplyDeleteSeriously, I don't know what I would have done without you this year Andrea. You were a God-sent. Glad to hear it wasn't a train wreck of a year for you :)
ReplyDelete