Faith Like Giant Sequoia Seed
Today, as part of preparation for being one of the instructors for outdoor school next week, I got to hike through Mariposa Grove. It wasn't my first time, but always impressive. I also learned a lot this time, since I was with tree-knowledgeable people.
One thing I learned that really stood out to me about the Giant Sequoias is that their pine cones are really small--about two inces long or so. If you've ever seen a Giant Sequoia, you might be as impressed as I was that this building of a tree came from something the size of a large ice cube. I read in the museum that the size of the sequoia pine cone in relation to the size of the full-grown tree is the same ratio as the size of the sequoia to the entire earth!
It made me think of what Jesus said about mustard seed faith growing into giant trees and being enough to move mountains. God might plant an idea in our hearts that looks impossible--the chances seem as small as a tiny pine cone. But all we need is that size of faith and God can turn it into a Giant Sequoia. Ok, so it might take 1,800 years, and then again, it might not. After all, a day is a thousand years and a thousand years is a day to God. Faith and waiting go hand in hand, but so do faith and action.
That's my nature-nugget for the day, I guess.
"There are some things that people cannot do. But God can do anything." Matt. 19:26
One thing I learned that really stood out to me about the Giant Sequoias is that their pine cones are really small--about two inces long or so. If you've ever seen a Giant Sequoia, you might be as impressed as I was that this building of a tree came from something the size of a large ice cube. I read in the museum that the size of the sequoia pine cone in relation to the size of the full-grown tree is the same ratio as the size of the sequoia to the entire earth!
It made me think of what Jesus said about mustard seed faith growing into giant trees and being enough to move mountains. God might plant an idea in our hearts that looks impossible--the chances seem as small as a tiny pine cone. But all we need is that size of faith and God can turn it into a Giant Sequoia. Ok, so it might take 1,800 years, and then again, it might not. After all, a day is a thousand years and a thousand years is a day to God. Faith and waiting go hand in hand, but so do faith and action.
That's my nature-nugget for the day, I guess.
"There are some things that people cannot do. But God can do anything." Matt. 19:26

Andrea, this is so good! Excellent thoughts. Sorry I didn't get to spend more time with you.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very sweet picture...and nature nuggets are awesome!
ReplyDeleteTo be honest, I can't take credit for the picture, but I wish I could. :)
ReplyDeleteI really like this post. It's a good thing to remember.
ReplyDelete