A Good Day
It’s easy to pick the hard times to write about, because that’s what makes people think you are a real missionary. But today was such a blessing I had to share it.
Most blessings are best appreciated after some hard times. Yesterday was pretty crazy. I was feeling a bit discouraged, and spent some time in my hammock praying for my class, for me and my attitude and teaching skills, and everything in between. Throwing myself at God’s merciful intervention was the best thing I could have done—He changed me and my class today.
It started with everyone all of the sudden being really interested in the Bibles we’ve had in the classroom. A few discovered them yesterday, but today, they couldn’t keep their eyes off them. It’s hard to tell kids, “Please put your Bibles away. I need you to work on your Spelling now.” Crazy.
Then there were the boys who almost started a fight, but one cooled off quickly and helped the other boy loosen up. He told me why, but I couldn’t quite understand, but it sounded like he said he didn’t want to see the principal, so that’s why he “hate to kill him.” Ah, bad English, but the point was made.
In English, we made book covers for some “books” we’ve been making about “My Favorite Trip.” Several of the girls wrote “I love Jesus” on their books. One girl has been writing that on lots of things, and the other girls are catching on. I don’t mind the trend. ☺
Typically, the afternoon has been rough, but today was a lot of fun. In Health class, we made posters about how germs are spread. Yuka had to make two, because I did not think her first one matched the assignment. However, I took it to our apartment and put it on our bathroom wall, and my flat-mates and I have had a good laugh about it. It says, “Don’t forget to go pe-pe or po-po,” and has a picture of a girl who remembers to.
And finally came Social Studies, where we were working on K-W-L charts, and I told them to make one about me, and today I would show them pictures of my family and friends and home, and from when I was little. They were so excited to see the pictures on my computer. Every time I changed the picture they would say “AH!” or “WHOAH!” or some other loud noise, but I knew they were into it. They asked lots of questions, and told me about their lives too. It was so much fun to see their reactions, and watch them try to pick out where “Teacher” was in the pictures.
I am continuing to pray that God will draw each of them with His love, and let His Holy Spirit do the work in them that I am unable to do. And that He can do the work in me that I am unable to do. I know that not every day will be fun like today, but I am so thankful for the fun days, and for the little ways I see God working in their lives. I am also thankful for the hard days because they drive me to my knees like no good day ever could.
I am also thankful for those who are praying for me too. I know it is making a difference.

Ahahaha! This made me literally laugh out loud. Several times. You might have the best bathroom art in the world.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear someone is able to use KWL charts with success - I've never experienced that! Also glad to hear you had a fun day :)
prayers change lives.
ReplyDeleteps what is a KWL chart?
Even if you're having fun, I still think you're a real missionary :)
ReplyDeleteare you sure they aren't working on K-E-W-L charts? Because that would be super trendy of you...glad to see that God is still in the prayer-answering business.
ReplyDeleteI'll be checking back to see what a KWL is. Thanks Sonya for asking. I figured I should have known, but when I saw a young whipper-snapper didn't know, I felt a whole lot better:) I'm with Kessia, real missionaries have fun. :) Seriously, thankfully you have great days sprinkled in with the ordinary days and the bad days too. And then Sabbath comes along. Wow. That's got to be one of the first things I want to tell Jesus thank you for face to face when we get there!!!
ReplyDeleteKWL is What you KNOW what you WANT to know and What you've LEARNED. Actually, haven't had too much luck with it either, Amanda, but it was introduced at least. :)
ReplyDelete