Yap
I made it. To Yap, and through my first day of teaching 2nd grade. OH man. I was told that this was a calm class—if it is, wow, the other classes must be crazy! There are also 12 of them instead of 11. Mostly, they do actually listen when I make it clear that I need them to. It just sometimes is hard to make that clear. ☺ (Thank you Pastor Fred Fuller for the “If-you-can-hear-me-clap-once” trick!!)
A lady whose husband works at the school has been teaching them since Kirsten died. She has been doing a great job, probably because she has been a teacher for eight years. She was very gracious and had all the lesson plans ready for this week—awesome!! I’ve just been taking them a day at a time and going through the next day, just to see what the material is, and what is needed. The other SMs here have been so incredibly helpful and supportive too, of both Alex and myself. They have been so welcoming, and really have gone the extra mile to help us know what to do, and in sharing living space. I am living with Aila, 3rd grade teacher from Germany, in the upstairs apartment (the nicest). Going to make a little peach pie hopefully so we can all eat together tonight, which they’ve been wanting to do for awhile.
Kirsten is an amazing teacher to follow. The lady (Pooyathey, from India) who has been teaching the 2nd graders has basically stuck to Kirsten’s system, which I plan to do as well. She had a great point system with behavior that I have been testing out, and have found it to be helpful. Because she was so thorough in her procedures and lesson plans, my job is made so much easier. It was very sobering as I went through her lesson plans, saw all of her work in decorating, bulletin boards, notes, etc. I can’t really even describe what it is like being in this position—it is humbling, honoring, intimidating, empowering, saddening, yet deepening. Pooyathey still tears up often when we talk of her, and says that the children didn’t want her to bring up “Miss Kirsten,” but it would come up in discussion and they would talk about it sometimes. There were several references to her today, though I did not bring it up, and one girl basically gave me the whole story in about two breaths during recess. They obviously know well what happened.
Well, I have learned much today, and am grateful that God got me through, even at some times when I felt overwhelmed. I know He’ll do that tomorrow. And the next day and the next. And that’s how I’ll become a 2nd grade teacher I guess.
A lady whose husband works at the school has been teaching them since Kirsten died. She has been doing a great job, probably because she has been a teacher for eight years. She was very gracious and had all the lesson plans ready for this week—awesome!! I’ve just been taking them a day at a time and going through the next day, just to see what the material is, and what is needed. The other SMs here have been so incredibly helpful and supportive too, of both Alex and myself. They have been so welcoming, and really have gone the extra mile to help us know what to do, and in sharing living space. I am living with Aila, 3rd grade teacher from Germany, in the upstairs apartment (the nicest). Going to make a little peach pie hopefully so we can all eat together tonight, which they’ve been wanting to do for awhile.
Kirsten is an amazing teacher to follow. The lady (Pooyathey, from India) who has been teaching the 2nd graders has basically stuck to Kirsten’s system, which I plan to do as well. She had a great point system with behavior that I have been testing out, and have found it to be helpful. Because she was so thorough in her procedures and lesson plans, my job is made so much easier. It was very sobering as I went through her lesson plans, saw all of her work in decorating, bulletin boards, notes, etc. I can’t really even describe what it is like being in this position—it is humbling, honoring, intimidating, empowering, saddening, yet deepening. Pooyathey still tears up often when we talk of her, and says that the children didn’t want her to bring up “Miss Kirsten,” but it would come up in discussion and they would talk about it sometimes. There were several references to her today, though I did not bring it up, and one girl basically gave me the whole story in about two breaths during recess. They obviously know well what happened.
Well, I have learned much today, and am grateful that God got me through, even at some times when I felt overwhelmed. I know He’ll do that tomorrow. And the next day and the next. And that’s how I’ll become a 2nd grade teacher I guess.

Andrea, I can't think of a better person to jump in and bring healing and comfort to those kids and SMs. Look at you, busting out the peach pie already! If you ever need the recipe for blueberry clafouti, just let me know ;)
ReplyDeleteFriend, I am so excited for you. It's amazing how we always wonder when God is going to use all that we have learned so far in life for some good, and it looks like he is doing that now with you. I know that you are life trained to help that little girl who gave you the two breath recap of the last few months.
ReplyDeleteFor Christ and Yap!