Guam

I am enjoying a few more days in American soil--complete with Taco Bell and high-speed wireless internet on the island of Guam. So here's a little of what's happened in the last however many hours and days of my life since Tuesday...

My first taste of Hawaii was lovely. For my overnight layover, I stayed with some friends of Alex who live in Honolulu and have a cute 1 1/2 year-old boy. They took us to an overlook that I don't remember the name of, but had an amazing view and cool yet warm breezes. Ah, no more 19 degree days.

Alex allowed himself to get bumped at our 3:30 p.m. overbooked flight so he could get the $300 voucher and a free night in the Waikiki Hotel. I decided to go on. I really just wanted to get to Guam and get to meet the other SMs and get used to staying up all night and sleeping all day (with the time change). Boy, was I glad I did! I received a very warm welcome from a few of the SMs and Karla Reel and her daughter, complete with an orchid lei. (I always have wanted one of those!) I enjoyed meeting everyone, but as soon as I found my bed, I was in it.

Today was awesome. After a tour of the Adventist clinic by Charles Reel (Karla's husband), we went to a place known as the "ABC"--no, not the Adventist Book Center, but "[Something that starts with "A"] Beach Club." It was like summer camp on steroids with Japanese tourists. The guy who owns it is an Adventist, and has been letting the SMs from Yap go there any time they want for free. Basically, "SDA" is a password at that place--even on our wrist bands they gave us. So that gave us a free ticket to parasailing and riding a huge banana boat over massive waves (the Japanese tourists were too sea-sick and throwing up over the boat by that point in the ride. It was some rough seas). Then we did dolphin-watching (minus the dolphins), snorkeling (with life-jackets), and a calmer banana boat ride, and ended with jet-skiing. Oh, and there was a free lunch with coconut-weaving demonstration in the middle of that.

It was great talking to the two SMs I got to spend the day with--Aila, who teaches 3rd grade, and another Alex, who teaches 4th. Great sounds lame; but it was meaningful and enjoyable and bonding. Maybe that's better. I also got to talk to Dad before I went parasailing because the guy who owned it was talking on the phone to a friend who was Dad's student, so I asked her to facebook him and tell him I was here. She did, and somehow he was going to call, but then the guy (Steve) told me to just call him. That was cool. In fact, Steve is very cool in general. And so is the Reel family. I like Guam.

Ok, dang it, I told myself I wasn't going to turn these things into massive essays. I promise I'll do better. I didn't even get to talk about how God has given me so much courage and comfort right when I needed it at certain times. Definitely good to feel knowing I will be needing a lot of that this semester. Blessings to you all on this lovely Friday night.

Comments

  1. You poor thing! Missed the ice storm and temps around 15 degrees (1 degree wind chill).

    I loved Hawaii when I was there a few years ago and I heard lots of great things about the Adventist community in Guam when I was in the Philippines. I hope you continue to have nice travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See? Serving God isn't all hard labor. He loves to surprise us with treats sometimes!

    I enjoy reading your "massive essays." Write all you want. Some of us have to live vicariously at this point. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I have no problem with massive essays about your life. Bring 'em on! I'm so glad to hear good news at the front part of your trip. I have been bringing you up as a prayer request in my Seminary classes all week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the mission field is very hostile. glad you made it to guam. I'll be watching SAU vespers tonight! I'll follow your mission experience a lot closer this time than last...are you proud of me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother is following my blog! This is a happy moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear we're supposed to get 6 more inches of snow tonight (on top of the 2 or so we have already) with temperatures well below zero.

    Any ideas on how I can live vicariously through you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, sorry Amanda. But I do have fond memories of playing in the snow when I came last year this time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to hear you are doing well. I love your blogs - the longer the better so keep 'em coming. I loved Guam when we were there. Wonderful people, beautiful island - mission with a taste of home. Safe travels to Yap. If you meet "John" while you are there (local Yapese associated with the school but I think he is in the Philippines for school) tell him Hi from Niki Moore's family. He has a unique laugh - great person. Blessings to you Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to hear more! Don't worry about long posts. You're in our prayers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Andrea! I haven't talked to you in a while, and now I see you fled the country! I miss you, and I hope you are having fun and doing good with those little kids...we're praying for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't mind the massive essay feel. Sounds like you're already making great memories!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts