What to Look for in the Wilderness

Remember that story about God giving the Israelites manna in the wilderness? I was reading it again recently, and there was something that jumped out at me that I had never really noticed before. But first, a little refresher...

Only a month after the nation of Israel escaped slavery with some extra heavy luggage with all the gold and silver the Egyptians gave them on the way out, they're not seeing any exits with a Taco Bell, and they're getting a little worried. 

Could God part a Red Sea to rescue them and drown their slave masters chasing them? Sure.
Could God change bitter water into fresh water so they could drink it? Of course.
Could God provide them food in the desert? NO! MOSES AND AARON BROUGHT US OUT HERE TO DIE!

In one month they'd already forgotten how God had provided for them. Who does that? (Ahem...ok, honestly, I only need a day or two--or sometimes a rotten afternoon to forget what God has done for me).

Anyway...Moses and Aaron get a little defensive. They repeat themselves a couple of times to make sure it's clear--they're not complaining against Moses and Aaron, they're complaining against God. Actually, are they defensive? Or are they trying to remind and warn them about Who is really in charge of this operation.

Quick side-question. Sometimes I wonder at what point the Israelites started complaining. Were they already completely out of food? Were they just starting to realize this was a long trip, and they needed a long-term food plan? Either way, why did God allow them to feel their need before He took care of it?

It was a test. Had they learned that He was with them? That He was good? That He was able to take care of their needs? Because if they had, maybe they could have just asked Him about it. "God, we are hungry. Could you help us out here?" It would have rained quail and manna and their hearts would have been drawn closer to God.

But instead, they jump straight to: "Moses and Aaron brought us out here to die! We miss Egypt!" Yeah. They did not pass the test.

Back to the story...After making it clear that it's actually God they are insulting, Moses turns to Aaron and tells him to make this announcement: "Present yourselves before the Lord, for he has heard your complaining." As Aaron relays this to the people, they all look out toward the wilderness. "There they could see the awesome glory of the Lord in the cloud."

Then God tells Moses that He's heard the complaints, and He's going to send quail and manna so they will know that He is the Lord.

God still comes through in His mercy and goodness.

But let's back up again to that moment when the people quiet down and turn toward the wilderness...and see the "awesome glory of the Lord in the cloud."

That hits home for me. I can get pretty forgetful and maybe even complain a little in my seasons of wilderness. At the very least, I end up getting to be an expert on "the problem" and how sad or worried or frustrated I am about it. I wonder how long it will take to get through it. I feel alone, uncertain, unsatisfied. The future looks bleak.

In those moments, what incredible peace awaits me when I listen to the Spirit's voice:
Present yourself to the Lord. Just as you are, your whole complain-y, ungrateful self.
Look to the wilderness--yes, face it. This is your where you are right now, your reality.
But don't miss that big glorious Cloud out there--that is God-with-you.
Take in that scene, your glorious God is out here with you. Remember Who He is. Remember how He what He has done to get you here. Yes, you're in the wilderness, but it's on the way to the Promised Land, and He hasn't abandoned you. He is still here, proving again and again that He will take care of you.

Sometimes I take the time to listen and I find that peace. Sometimes I complain for awhile. But He seems to get through eventually, all the while raining quail and manna all the way until He plants us in the Promised Land. He is good.



Comments

Popular Posts