Remembering Dr. Leatherman
Around the middle of September I got an invitation to join a Zoom memorial for a former professor. I was in the thick of preparing for a staff training retreat and the start of the school year, and there was no way I could attend, or even take a moment to remember his impact on my life. So, I'd like to add a few words to the internet tonight for that purpose.
Dr. Donn Leatherman was my religion professor and advisor several years ago. I wasn't sure what to make of him at first. He seemed quite serious, and I wanted to call him Moses because of his long, gray beard, and maybe because my first class from him was Old Testament. However, I was surprised to find him an engaging educator with some fantastic dry humor. My favorite day in that class was when we were studying the Passover. Our only chance at extra credit the whole semester was enduring a bite of horseradish ("bitter herbs") on a piece of matzah bread--in front of the class. While he could have easily left it at that for his own personal enjoyment, he was kind enough to give us a piece of advice that has stuck with me through the years: exhale while you chew until you swallow. That kind piece of advice earned me some extra credit and earned him my full trust and respect. (It's also gotten me through other difficult bites of food over the years).
The first semester back from serving as a student missionary in New Zealand, where I had been doing full-time, practical ministry for a year, I landed in Dr. Leatherman's Greek I class. This was the kind of class where they send you recommended homework a month or two before to help prep you--and I did it. I was intimidated and skeptical. There was no way this was going to help me in a future of helping people. But even in my personal struggle with the class content and purpose, Dr. Leatherman remained one of my heroes. Just a few examples of why:
- His first day of class, he asked us all to write down the name we would like to be called in class. This would help him know how best to refer to us, but he would also draw out the names periodically to have prayer or answer a question. And so...I gave him a name. I figured he wouldn't really use it, but sure enough, one morning I heard "Dr. Keele, would you like to have prayer for us today?" He was dead serious, but I couldn't help but grin, and could somehow tell he appreciated my effort at humor.
- Then there was the day I waited after class for a few minutes to ask if he would teach me how to write/say "The woman is wise" in Koine Greek. He wrote it on the board and told me how to say it and I practiced. It's now about the only phrase I remember well: Soph-ay hay goon-ay
- I don't remember if it was a day or a slow dawning realization that Dr. Leatherman was...a Democrat! This was the South, this was the Theology department, the core of conservativeness! I mean, he almost could have been from another denomination! Although he didn't share a lot of his personal politics, what I learned was that his political values came from his deep care of people. I learned that it was ok to think differently than those around you as you walk out your own faith journey at the voting booth. And I learned that it's ok to talk about it now and then, even if you know others won't fully get it. To be honest, these were some of the early seeds of thought in my own migration down the political line a little more toward the left. (That Intro to Social Work class also probably contributed).


What a great memorial. Thanks for sharing your memories.
ReplyDelete