Slow Down

Slow down.

In the middle of the rush of young people converging upon a new school year all at once, with my to-do list lengthening by the minute, conversations are typically short and very task-oriented. The energy for charm and polite small-talk is depleted about 30-seconds in, and then I'm desperately racking my brain for something deeper, more meaningful, or compassionate to say next.

It could just be the struggle of an introvert at a crowded event, but it can happen all too easily when I'm focused on the wrong things...yes, things, not people, not the Spirit. But as I experimented this evening, I realized I was not at the mercy of the overstimulating sounds and hurried tasks. Somehow, especially in a few specific moments, I realized there was something I could do differently.

Slow down.

In every moment, I have a choice to let adrenaline drive or the Spirit drive. So I tried it. I slowed down and waited. I looked people in the eye. I slowed my speech. I took my time to think of a question that would be more meaningful for them. Not for everyone, but for those who I know right now are processing a lot. They need a few people who can slow down and see them where they are, not just for where they're supposed to be or wish they were. It takes time to adjust--to being around a lot of people, to coming back into a home country that is literally different than when they left it a year ago. It takes time to figure out how to be a student when they've been the teacher for several months. To figure out what this school year reset will look like for their mental or spiritual health.

This evening God gave me the gift of choosing to slow down. Or perhaps the real gift was to get past me so I could see and hear them. So many times I've missed this. Thank You, God. For helping me slow down, but most of all, for slowing down for me. You are so good.


Comments

Popular Posts