Walking for Humanity

I admit having an advantage with social distancing as an introvert. I’m thankful for phone calls or Zoom meetings with family and friends, and my cat is learning to share his space with me, so it’s generally been ok. But I’ve noticed a mental shift as I’ve continued my trail-walking around my neighborhood. Before COVID-19, I passed by people all the time, but I didn’t really see them. I would smile out of politeness, but I was secretly relieved if I didn’t pass too many people because it meant less interruption to my thoughts (or podcast, or phone conversation).

But now, it’s different. I see people.  Older couples in deep conversation. Families with kids on bikes with sparkly pom-poms on the handles. Determined runners. Teenagers consumed with their phones. And a LOT of dog-walkers. We give each other lots of space—physical and emotional. Sometimes I can see fear on tense faces, or hear frustration in their conversations. I hear kids laughing and discovering Spring with wonder. Mostly, I encounter kind smiles and even short, warm greetings now and then. I know their faces, and I think they know mine now. I want to be a smile they recognize, a calm face that can give them courage, the first one to step off the path to ease the anxiety as we pass.

Even though, in some ways, we are all walking petri-dishes daring to venture out to share the open air, I think we’re taking the risk for more than much-needed exercise. I think we are fighting to see each other’s humanity as a gift—not just a liability. To feel the positive side of human connection, even in simple and safe ways. Or maybe it’s just me.

I don’t know what it will feel like to walk around the neighborhood trails after all of this. But I hope I don’t forget to value and respect the people I pass. I hope that instead of just interrupting my thoughts, these neighbors will continue to enter my heart and prayers.


Comments

Popular Posts