For the Chibok Girls

Goosebumps froze in place on my skin and I blinked back tears. The office wasn't the place to be having this incredible moment, but then, it's as good a place as any for God to show up and rock my world, I guess.

Let's rewind a bit to a few days ago when I read a news article. I kind of forget to check the news, and usually rely on my friend Lori to send me some highlights now and then. But for whatever reason, I glanced through the news app on my phone, and found an article about the families of the Chibok girls who were abducted by Boko Haram in 2014. Apparently, there was hope that one of the girls had been found, but, like all the other illusions of hope they've been given so far, it turned out to be false--she was not one of the 219 missing girls.

Reading about those mothers and fathers missing their daughters, still hoping and praying for their daughters' return broke my heart. They've been waiting for two long years. And not just sitting-around-waiting, but actively campaigning, calling, emailing--everything they can think of, but nothing seems to change. Some hold on to hope; others have lost their health and even their lives due to the stress.

It is so hard to read things like that. It's not hard to read the words, but it's hard to let myself care because it feels like there is so little I can do. I can pray, but what does my little prayer do in the face of a monstrous evil like this? How do I pray for those who suffer more deeply than I can imagine?

But this time, I did pray. As overwhelming as it felt at first, I poured out my heart to God on behalf of those girls and their families. I asked Him to find a way somehow to bring them home--soon. I asked my friend Sonya if she would pray too, and we prayed together.

And then, after a few days, it melted into the background of consciousness, behind work and the regular business of life...

Until this afternoon, when Sonya sent me THIS article! Yesterday, the first of the 219 girls was rescued! She was recognized and brought to her mom who confirmed (through a very emotional reunion) that it really was her daughter, Amina, who was one of the Chibok girls!

I can't really explain the timing. I know many others have been caring and praying for these daughters and sisters for much longer than I have--two long years. But I think God put it on my heart at a moment in time to help me make the connection: praying is not the least we can do, but the greatest weapon we have against the greatest evils in this world. Not because of anything special about us--but because we have faith in a God of power, and a God who really does care deeply. It is never a waste of time to pray against the darkness we see--even when it's so overwhelming, and so far away. Even if we don't see results in a couple of days.

Sometimes those prayers will lead us to action, but even when we can't see the path to action, we can pray and trust that God hears our prayers that resonate with His own heart. He suffers with those who suffer. He wants us to care as much as He does. I don't understand it all, but somehow I do believe our prayers matter; they make a difference in God's intervention in this world.

There's 218 more. I'm not stopping now. Jesus, please...#bringbackourgirls

Comments

  1. I don't understand it either, but when our faith takes us to the Lord instead of our doubt causing us to "just live with it", the Lord is motivated. No doubt He's always motivated, but He asks us to ask first. All in an effort to help us connect the dots that, "yes, I'm really up here and I really do care".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts