The Flood Story
My dad and I were driving home from Chesapeake Conference campmeeting in some hard rain but enjoying some good conversation last Saturday night. Dad had just finished speaking to a group of young adults over the weekend, and we were looking forward to a fun Father's Day the next day. But that was about to change...
"Hi Andrea," my landlord's voice sounded rather down-hearted over the phone as he broke the news that my apartment, in the basement of their house, had flooded. The rain had come down too hard and too fast, the power had gone out, and the pumps just couldn't keep up. It was pretty bad, he said. After the call ended, my dad and I discussed plans of staying at a hotel for a few nights.
We decided to stop by and have a look, plus I needed to get a few extra things. It was dark, of course, since the power was still out, which added to the strange feel of floating, sloshy carpet and splashing through the bathroom in my Chacos.We unplugged things, and pulled things off the floor that probably shouldn't be sitting in three inches of water--or at least the most important and most portable things. Thankfully, since it was already kind of late, I had reached my late-night "who-cares" personality change. I nestled down into my hotel bed that night with a smile and a sigh. Just another adventure to add to my collection of life experiences, I thought. (Of course, I'm pretty sure having my dad here made a huge difference in feeling ok about everything as well).
But I woke up bright and early Sunday morning with all kinds of thoughts. Where was I going to move all my stuff? Where was I going to stay? Who was going to help me move? I urgently wanted to answer all those questions at 6:30 a.m., but realized that was rather impractical. So I forced myself to slow down and spend some time talking to Jesus in the stillness, to ask for His help, and to trust that He had it under control. Then I got up and started making my lists of what needed to be done and who to call in what order. Finally it was late enough to start calling, and thankfully on my first call, God provided a place to stay! My pastor and his wife live in my neighborhood, and graciously opened up their basement for me to move all my stuff into and stay for as long as I need while my apartment is being fixed. Whew! The biggest issue was already solved, and Dad wasn't even awake yet! I had prayed I could get that out of the way so we could at least enjoy a Father's Day breakfast at the hotel in a little more peace. (Side note: I was pretty disappointed that I couldn't fix our traditional egg gravy like I'd planned for breakfast).
Needless to say, it was a Father's Day we will not forget. Dad and I worked pretty hard that first day. Dad took several bags of blankets and clothes to the laundry that had been on the floor, while I loaded and unloaded my car, with a little bit of help from a neighbor kid. When Dad came back, we both kept packing and loading until we probably had about half or so out at least. But we were exhausted, and there was still the big stuff. And I still didn't know who might be able to help with that on Monday.
Thankfully, people at church and work responded to some calls for help via email and the church facebook group. At noon, several showed up including co-workers, church members, my youth pastor friend, and my work supervisor. It was such an encouragement to me! I had originally planned a time later in the evening for others to come help with the bigger items, so we could plan a time to rent a truck. But as it turned out, my youth pastor friend had a great idea to borrow the church van and trailer. When we went to pick it up, a car-full of young guys from the church happened to show up to play basketball...except they didn't have their basketball and were just there to turn around to go get it. But Pastor Sonia recruited them to come help, which they seemed happy to do. They went ahead and got started with moving the "big stuff" a bit ahead of schedule and had it done in about 30 minutes or so. But it was still a huge blessing to hear from those who had come to help, even though I had to let them know it was already finished.
One of those who came to help a bit after we were done was the North American Division president, Dan Jackson. What a guy. I found out the next day that he had come to help, but hadn't been able to find us at either address because we had just finished and already taking the van back to the church. But it meant so much to me that he had come and was willing to take time out of his very busy schedule, right before General Conference session, to help in any way he could. I already really appreciated and respected Elder Jackson, but that definitely raised my respect to the next level. If I was a delegate at GC, I'd definitely vote for him. :)
Anyway, I sent everyone home after they finished with the big stuff, including my dad (to the hotel), saying I could finish up the small stuff on my own. But my friend and co-worker, Rosy, insisted on coming and helping. I was actually so glad she did, because there is always more than what you think there is. It was also fun to have someone there to celebrate the "last load" with around 7 p.m. :)
Whether praying for or encouraging me; hauling everything from furniture to food; or taking a last load of sheets and mattress covers to the laundromat for me, God has reminded me that I am blessed to be part of a community here in Maryland. Sometimes you don't really know what you have until you have to test it out, but God has indeed provided well. I also am so thankful that God sent my dad to be here through all of it, and that I have a great place to "camp out" until my apartment is ready again. God is good, and is in the middle of teaching me even more through this about trusting Him, and letting Him take care of me.
Even when the rain falls
Even when the flood starts rising
Even when the storm comes
I am washed by the water
- Needtobreathe
"Hi Andrea," my landlord's voice sounded rather down-hearted over the phone as he broke the news that my apartment, in the basement of their house, had flooded. The rain had come down too hard and too fast, the power had gone out, and the pumps just couldn't keep up. It was pretty bad, he said. After the call ended, my dad and I discussed plans of staying at a hotel for a few nights.
We decided to stop by and have a look, plus I needed to get a few extra things. It was dark, of course, since the power was still out, which added to the strange feel of floating, sloshy carpet and splashing through the bathroom in my Chacos.We unplugged things, and pulled things off the floor that probably shouldn't be sitting in three inches of water--or at least the most important and most portable things. Thankfully, since it was already kind of late, I had reached my late-night "who-cares" personality change. I nestled down into my hotel bed that night with a smile and a sigh. Just another adventure to add to my collection of life experiences, I thought. (Of course, I'm pretty sure having my dad here made a huge difference in feeling ok about everything as well).
Needless to say, it was a Father's Day we will not forget. Dad and I worked pretty hard that first day. Dad took several bags of blankets and clothes to the laundry that had been on the floor, while I loaded and unloaded my car, with a little bit of help from a neighbor kid. When Dad came back, we both kept packing and loading until we probably had about half or so out at least. But we were exhausted, and there was still the big stuff. And I still didn't know who might be able to help with that on Monday.
Thankfully, people at church and work responded to some calls for help via email and the church facebook group. At noon, several showed up including co-workers, church members, my youth pastor friend, and my work supervisor. It was such an encouragement to me! I had originally planned a time later in the evening for others to come help with the bigger items, so we could plan a time to rent a truck. But as it turned out, my youth pastor friend had a great idea to borrow the church van and trailer. When we went to pick it up, a car-full of young guys from the church happened to show up to play basketball...except they didn't have their basketball and were just there to turn around to go get it. But Pastor Sonia recruited them to come help, which they seemed happy to do. They went ahead and got started with moving the "big stuff" a bit ahead of schedule and had it done in about 30 minutes or so. But it was still a huge blessing to hear from those who had come to help, even though I had to let them know it was already finished.
One of those who came to help a bit after we were done was the North American Division president, Dan Jackson. What a guy. I found out the next day that he had come to help, but hadn't been able to find us at either address because we had just finished and already taking the van back to the church. But it meant so much to me that he had come and was willing to take time out of his very busy schedule, right before General Conference session, to help in any way he could. I already really appreciated and respected Elder Jackson, but that definitely raised my respect to the next level. If I was a delegate at GC, I'd definitely vote for him. :)
Anyway, I sent everyone home after they finished with the big stuff, including my dad (to the hotel), saying I could finish up the small stuff on my own. But my friend and co-worker, Rosy, insisted on coming and helping. I was actually so glad she did, because there is always more than what you think there is. It was also fun to have someone there to celebrate the "last load" with around 7 p.m. :)
Whether praying for or encouraging me; hauling everything from furniture to food; or taking a last load of sheets and mattress covers to the laundromat for me, God has reminded me that I am blessed to be part of a community here in Maryland. Sometimes you don't really know what you have until you have to test it out, but God has indeed provided well. I also am so thankful that God sent my dad to be here through all of it, and that I have a great place to "camp out" until my apartment is ready again. God is good, and is in the middle of teaching me even more through this about trusting Him, and letting Him take care of me.
Even when the rain falls
Even when the flood starts rising
Even when the storm comes
I am washed by the water
- Needtobreathe

Comments
Post a Comment