Vacation and a Folk Fest
I had an awesome vacation last week, which I spent with my brother and sister-in-law in Michigan. Here are a few highlights:
-Visiting an old friend I worked with in Yap in 2010.
-Meeting the returned SM who shares my first and middle name and also the class that we both taught in different grades in Yap (she taught them in 6th grade last year).
-Going with my brother to get our hair cut--at the same time! That hasn't happened since we were little, I'm pretty sure.
-Visiting the beach and Lake Michigan a couple of times.
-Beginning a novelette for my friend, Sonya.
-Introvert time at the river. And in my brother's hammock in the backyard.
-Driving 10 hours there and back, with some help from Adventures in Odyssey and NPR.
-And of course quality time with my brother and sister-in-law, who were kind enough to let me hang out for the week.
I came back on Friday, and now it's Sunday. The day before I have to go back to work--not really my favorite day of vacation, to be honest. But thankfully, this morning my friend Suzanne texted a couple of ideas of things to do today from the Maryland.gov calendar or something. We chose the Takoma Park Folk Festival! Such a great way to spend a beautiful September Sunday afternoon!
Let me just say, for those who don't know me very well, I LOVE eclectic people! I feel like I'm somehow related to them, though perhaps distantly. I suppose there are different kinds of eclectic, but these were the folk kind. It's hard to explain. You kind of just had to be there.
From contra-dancing little boys wearing yamakas...
To harmonica-playing folk bands and a perhaps slightly intoxicated dancing dude (who later asked me to dance with him, and I felt strangely honored, although I turned him down)...
To Celtic classics...
And soooo much more! Another favorite was the sea-shanty sing-a-long. Oh man. Just so much goodness packed in one place, and that didn't even include the food! Or the interesting beard stories from Suzanne's impromptu interviews with bearded men for her blog, which you should definitely check out. (Turns out there are plenty of beards at a folk fest).
Yes, going back to work still looms beyond the sunrise, but I am thankful for a fun vacation and the knowledge that there are so many interesting people here in Maryland that I never knew existed. Here's to the future of finding more!
-Visiting an old friend I worked with in Yap in 2010.
-Meeting the returned SM who shares my first and middle name and also the class that we both taught in different grades in Yap (she taught them in 6th grade last year).
-Going with my brother to get our hair cut--at the same time! That hasn't happened since we were little, I'm pretty sure.
-Visiting the beach and Lake Michigan a couple of times.
-Beginning a novelette for my friend, Sonya.
-Introvert time at the river. And in my brother's hammock in the backyard.
-Driving 10 hours there and back, with some help from Adventures in Odyssey and NPR.
-And of course quality time with my brother and sister-in-law, who were kind enough to let me hang out for the week.
I came back on Friday, and now it's Sunday. The day before I have to go back to work--not really my favorite day of vacation, to be honest. But thankfully, this morning my friend Suzanne texted a couple of ideas of things to do today from the Maryland.gov calendar or something. We chose the Takoma Park Folk Festival! Such a great way to spend a beautiful September Sunday afternoon!
Let me just say, for those who don't know me very well, I LOVE eclectic people! I feel like I'm somehow related to them, though perhaps distantly. I suppose there are different kinds of eclectic, but these were the folk kind. It's hard to explain. You kind of just had to be there.
From contra-dancing little boys wearing yamakas...
To harmonica-playing folk bands and a perhaps slightly intoxicated dancing dude (who later asked me to dance with him, and I felt strangely honored, although I turned him down)...
To Celtic classics...
And soooo much more! Another favorite was the sea-shanty sing-a-long. Oh man. Just so much goodness packed in one place, and that didn't even include the food! Or the interesting beard stories from Suzanne's impromptu interviews with bearded men for her blog, which you should definitely check out. (Turns out there are plenty of beards at a folk fest).
Yes, going back to work still looms beyond the sunrise, but I am thankful for a fun vacation and the knowledge that there are so many interesting people here in Maryland that I never knew existed. Here's to the future of finding more!

Sounds like a full vacation. The novelette is the best part ;)
ReplyDeleteYour list of good things just got better and better. They were all things I envied in a good way.
ReplyDeleteYou put your week~long vacation in a nutshell very well. I enjoyed reading this. Thanks! i love you:)
ReplyDeleteGood stuff...just for future reference...turn your phone sideways and it will give you a full picture.
ReplyDelete