Life in the Vineyard
Hi. My name is Branch, and I live in a vineyard. It's a pretty good life for the most part. The sun shines and the rain falls at just the right times. I'm connected to this big Vine that supplies all my nutrients, and there's a Gardener who checks on me to make sure I'm alright. But He's not just concerned about how I'm feeling--He wants to see if I'm growing and bearing fruit. That's why I exist--to bear fruit for Him. I couldn't do it without Him, or the Vine.
Sometimes I am amazed at the fruit that shows up. I know I can't really take the credit, but it's exciting to see the results of the Vine's life and the Gardener's care. Sometimes the Gardener bends and twists me in different directions than I ever thought I could go, and it's a little uncomfortable, but it's incredible to see the beautiful work of art and the greater production of fruit that He creates through me.
But sometimes I see Him coming with His shearers, and I tremble in the wind. I know what is coming, and it hurts. I don't always understand what He's doing. Yes, I know the pruning is supposed to help me bear more fruit, but I don't always understand how He chooses what to prune. I can understand a little more when it's something that seems to be drawing me away from the Vine, shooting up wildly to the sky, or falling down close to the ground. It hurts, but it makes sense. But sometimes He chooses a part that I've watched Him nurture so carefully to bear fruit. And it does bear fruit--abundantly. Why would the Gardener grow something so good from me, only to cut it off? I don't understand. It doesn't make sense. It seems like there will be no hope for fruit again after that. Maybe there will be fruit, but it seems impossible that it will ever be as abundant and sweet as it once was.
Does the Gardener know what He is doing? Sometimes it's hard to understand, but I think He does. He's an expert, and He's been doing this for many years with many branches, and I know He dearly loves His vineyard. I hold on to that hope that His purpose for me is to grow and bear fruit. And at the times when I feel like my fruit is not as sweet or abundant as I think it should be due to all the pruning, I simply hold on to the Vine and let His life flow into me. Whatever fruit comes and goes is up to the Vine and Gardener. The fruit belongs to Him. I belong to Him. And He will never stop caring for me as long as I'm hanging on to the Vine.
“I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn’t produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more. You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me." John 15:1-4 (NLT)
Sometimes I am amazed at the fruit that shows up. I know I can't really take the credit, but it's exciting to see the results of the Vine's life and the Gardener's care. Sometimes the Gardener bends and twists me in different directions than I ever thought I could go, and it's a little uncomfortable, but it's incredible to see the beautiful work of art and the greater production of fruit that He creates through me.
But sometimes I see Him coming with His shearers, and I tremble in the wind. I know what is coming, and it hurts. I don't always understand what He's doing. Yes, I know the pruning is supposed to help me bear more fruit, but I don't always understand how He chooses what to prune. I can understand a little more when it's something that seems to be drawing me away from the Vine, shooting up wildly to the sky, or falling down close to the ground. It hurts, but it makes sense. But sometimes He chooses a part that I've watched Him nurture so carefully to bear fruit. And it does bear fruit--abundantly. Why would the Gardener grow something so good from me, only to cut it off? I don't understand. It doesn't make sense. It seems like there will be no hope for fruit again after that. Maybe there will be fruit, but it seems impossible that it will ever be as abundant and sweet as it once was.
Does the Gardener know what He is doing? Sometimes it's hard to understand, but I think He does. He's an expert, and He's been doing this for many years with many branches, and I know He dearly loves His vineyard. I hold on to that hope that His purpose for me is to grow and bear fruit. And at the times when I feel like my fruit is not as sweet or abundant as I think it should be due to all the pruning, I simply hold on to the Vine and let His life flow into me. Whatever fruit comes and goes is up to the Vine and Gardener. The fruit belongs to Him. I belong to Him. And He will never stop caring for me as long as I'm hanging on to the Vine.
“I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn’t produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more. You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me." John 15:1-4 (NLT)


This is really really good, Andrea. I welcome every chance to be reminded by a fellow Christian that we are under God's perfect care. Thanks a bunch:)!
ReplyDelete