When I am Strong
Every other week I have a calendar reminder pop up on my computer at work, and it always makes me happy. It tells me I'm supposed to write a devotional for the volunteers and student missionaries who are currently serving. It's definitely one of my favorite projects, I guess because I like to write, but even more, I love to encourage the "soldiers" out on the field. But I am realizing I need to be careful to depend on God in this. Sometimes I want to just run when I can, you know? Not have to tip-toe like the stuff I am still learning or must be more cautious about. This is something I can do--so I just start to take off...but if I take off without Jesus with me, I won't be flying nearly as well. This week's email devotional is pretty much on that topic. Maybe you can relate to it as well.
“Now glory be to God! By His mighty power at work within us, He is able to accomplish infinitely more than we would ever dare to ask or hope.” Eph. 3:20 (NLT)
It’s one thing to surrender our weaknesses
to God—but quite another to surrender our strengths. On the bad days,
there is a well-worn path to God’s house. On the good days, the grass
starts to take over that path.
Maybe you’ve gotten the hang of teaching
and all the students think you are the coolest teacher. Maybe you
already knew the language in the area you are serving, maybe you already
are a great leader in your group, or a compassionate
listener and encourager. Do you surrender your strengths to Jesus and
depend on Him in these areas too?
Why does it matter? Because anything you
think you can do without Jesus will start to give you more confidence in
yourself than in Him. You will settle for something less than you
could be WITH Him, simply because you are confident
and satisfied in your current results. This can also make you
judgmental of those around you who may not have the same gifts as you.
It’s a little harder to be patient with the poor guy who just showed up
last month and is really struggling with the language,
or the girl who was asked to preach the sermon who…well, let’s just say
they should have asked you.
In our giftedness, we are sometimes blind
to our need of God until He allows us to fail. Failing at something we
already know we’re not that great at is annoying. But failing at
something we think we are good at is downright painful.
Yesterday, I was backing out of a driveway, completely confident in my
backing skills, extra cautious not to hit the car behind me…and knocked
my mirror completely off on the driver’s side thanks to that tree I
didn’t see. I NEVER do stuff like that. But
it quickly cured me of my overconfidence in backing up, and of my
judgmental attitude toward my dad who, in recent years, has had his
share of backing into things. (I definitely did not deserve all his
kind sympathy when I told him the story.)
There have also been times when God has
allowed me to fail in my ability to listen and understand people,
something I like to think I do pretty well. Whenever it happens, it’s a
painful but powerful reminder to never let go of
God’s hand—whether we’re sinking, swimming, or walking on water. As we
keep that connection with Jesus, that humble dependence in every
circumstance, I think we will be amazed to see how much stronger His
strength is than ours. And even better—it will be
for HIS glory.
“Now glory be to God! By His mighty power at work within us, He is able to accomplish infinitely more than we would ever dare to ask or hope.” Eph. 3:20 (NLT)

The last two sentences sums it up. May we do everything IN His strength, FOR His glory...whether we are sinking, swimming or walking on that water! I want to do/be in His strength..for the right motive. With Jesus, we can:)
ReplyDelete