Grace and Cavities

Last Monday, I went to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned.  It's been a few years, honestly, because it's not very cheap.  But I knew I should go since I'm leaving for Yap soon.  Rotting teeth is a common sight in Yap, so maybe dental costs are just as bad, or it's just not an option.  (Or too much betelnut.)

Sure enough, two cavities were hiding out under some fillings, just waiting to be filled with money I didn't have.  Scheduling my next appointment, I asked for an estimate, and found out it was supposed to be about $420.  Awesome.  I started praying.  But as much as I wanted God to answer that prayer, I was having a hard time believing He would.

This week, I realized I was having a hard time believing God in a lot of areas in my life.  Sometimes it seems like I wake up from my life and realize how far I am from what I know is true--God's grace in my own life.  I can explain it to others, but I just lose the picture in my own life.  Thankfully, God is never far away.  Eventually, I always come to the point of realizing I'm stuck.  I can't do life on my own.  He is the only Rope strong enough, the only One I can trust with every part of my life.  What a beautiful thing to realize all over again how good and patient and loving God is!  It's like taking a deep breath, and letting it all out.

This Monday, I went back to the dentist, that little prayer still in my heart, but more peace in my heart too.  The cavities were filled, and I wrote the check, and it turned out to be "only" $380.  I could only trust that God would somehow figure things out somehow. 

Only a few hours later, He did.  I stopped by Southern to pay for my airline ticket.  Amazingly, we discovered that there was $800 in left-over donations for the Yap fund for Alex and me last year!  I could use that money for my plane ticket, and be able to keep some money in my bank account for things like cavities.  Four-hundred times two!  God definitely answered.


But even better than the money, is the fresh, sweet reminder that God's grace--His death for my sins, His provision for my needs, His unconditional love--is enough for me.  In fact, it's more than enough.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts