Dear College Student

Dear College Student:
Do not be afraid.  God has plans for you.  It might take awhile to figure them out, but none of that time will be wasted.  Explore, take crazy classes, get involved in clubs, be a student missionary.  Find out who you are first, and then you'll know what you need to do.  Don't look around and envy those who "have it all figured out"--the job, the significant other, the life plans.  Sometimes those things work out, and sometimes they don't, but the reality is, that is not your path.  Accept and embrace the life God has given you--the talents, the interests, the people.  Let God create the best you He can, and let go of what others might think.  You'll save yourself a lot of time and energy that way, rather than trying to be what others think is more acceptable, more highly valued in society.

College is expensive, but don't let the pressure get to you.  You are in school for more than an academic education.  It is a growth environment.  The people and experiences you have here are priceless.  Look around at the people you see on your way to class.  They are from all over the world--and they are only here for a few years, just like you.  You might run into them at some point in life, but there will be no other time when you will all be here together.  Take their faces in, remember them.  You also never know who you'll end up working for.

Don't worry about the future.  Live today, and surrender your future to God.  He will take care of you.  He will not fail you if you trust Him and put Him first.  Make wise choices in how you spend your time today and tonight, because it will likely affect your future more than the decision to switch majors.

I say this because my life is not conventional.  I was frustrated in college.  I desperately wanted a simple path--just to pick a career and be happy.  But that was not God's path for me, and I haven't regretted a day of it, although it hasn't always been easy.  Still, I can look back and see how God has led me to where I needed to be, to live a fulfilling life, helping others.  I might not make a lot of money, but that was never my goal.  God has always provided for my needs in His own way, and I know He will continue to.

Hang in there, have fun, buy used books.  And remember: Jesus is with you.

Your friend,
A College Graduate of 2006

Comments

  1. Good words of wisdom. I sending this to people I know in college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. You have no idea how much I needed this.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only you could have sent that to 2005 Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, Kessia. And I am glad this is helpful to you, Ashlee and Ludine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Andrea! I need and appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This came at a time I really needed to hear it. Thanks, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said! Think of all the time we spent worrying while planting crooked rows of pansies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this. I really needed this. Thanks Andrea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts