Evangeleesim

Evangelism. Or “evangeleesim,” as one of my South American college professors enthusiastically referred to it. Some hear the word and tremble in anger or fright, thinking of manipulation or militant witnessing. Others envision exotic places, or at least exotic people, converting from cultures and crimes. And maybe another group does not really know how evangelism fits in their everyday lives, and could care less. Leave that stuff to the preachers.

Before you make up your mind which category you’re in (or come up with a new one), let me introduce you to a few people who might be able to give some perspective...

Meet Qabil Matar of Pakistan, who intentionally moved his family to the Taliban and Al-Qaida region. Most people cannot think of any good reason to move themselves or anyone they love into the midst of Muslim extremists. But sharing Christ was a good enough reason for Qabil, and it wasn’t long before his evangelism was noticed. He suffered abuse and interrogation while his family and friends prayed for a miracle. Amazingly, within a few days, he was able to escape, and though the family is taking some time to recuperate outside the region, they plan to return. “I was afraid and had fear,” said Qabil, “but when I attended the prayer meeting and heard that people were praying for me, I was encouraged…That moment, I decided to go back and preach in the same area. My fear is gone.”*

Meet my mom. She was “green” before it was fashionable, with an unspoken motto of “re-use, reduce, and recycle”—and evangelize. As long as I can remember, she’s collected all the old My Little Friend, Primary Treasure, and Guide magazines from church, and either hand-delivered them to neighbor-kids, or dropped them off at laundromats. She has a passion for sharing Jesus, from the young to the old, whether it means putting a cute, little “I love Jesus” pin on her uniform, or having a deep spiritual conversation with a patient while washing their dishes as a hospice CNA. She loves and is loved by many in her life.

Meet Cohutta Springs Youth Camp, and a godly grandmother in south Georgia whose face lights up when she shares how her 12 year-old grandson told her that he asked Jesus into his heart at camp. Watch three homesick kids from a dysfunctional home, about to leave camp after only one day, as they jump into motion singing, “One Way, Jesus…You’re the only one that I could live for!” Meet counselors and staff who make it their mission to live out loud the calling to be disciples of Jesus, and invite hundreds of kids each week of the summer to do the same.

If you still haven’t decided where you fit in with the whole evangelism thing, it’s ok. It is not an easy idea. But these are just a few examples of what it can look like in its nicer forms. In the end, evangelism isn’t about you or me, or what makes us or other people comfortable or uncomfortable. It’s not about “us” being “right” and “them” being “wrong.” It's about falling in love with Jesus, and sharing that love whoever God puts in front of your face.

*From Voice of the Martyrs, Special Issue 2009. Qabil Matar is a pseudonym.

Comments

  1. andrea... I love you and I love this post.
    thank you!
    and keep being an evangelist :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a balanced, blessed view of evangelism. Refreshing. Thanks for living it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! I agree. this was such a feel good blog. Like a romantic comedy but better because the romance is with Jesus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And that particular college professors is one of your favorites, Stella. :) You should be proud of me for including him. I think that's the only time you will see me quoting him anywhere though...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts